• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Betta Spawn! HMPK Yellow

mchambers

Former CCA member
Very cool on the spawning, especially the low tech styro cup!

We had a pretty big barometric pressure drop a week ago, with that storm that started as sleet but switched to rain. I didn't see any particular spawning in my tanks, however, except an angel pair.

I have a weather station, too, but it's easier to follow the barometric pressure, both current and predicted, at Weather Underground. Here's the link for the page for my neighborhood:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=20012&MR=1

You can see on the chart that we'll have a big drop Sunday night into Monday (look at the black line).

zackcrack00

Members
Bettas are pretty much ready to breed whenever the male's built a nest and the female's conditioned enough with food.

You can tell the female's are ready when they show vertical (vs. horizontal) stripes when they see the male and they have a small white dot on their vent (looks like an egg).

A typical betta spawn will produce a bunch of babies (a couple of hundred) of varying quality. People (unnecessarily) worry about cichlid being inbred a generation or two but bettas have been inbred for decades to get the fancy traits that people want. I usually culled (fed to other fish) all but a dozen or so fish from each spawn - a few months down the road each male will require a separate jar

Matt

Couldn't agree more. It's easy to breed them, the fry and water changes are the tedious part.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app