• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking of buying a bgk

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hi everyone. Ever since I got a fish tank I've always wanted a black ghost knife. Has anyone ever kept one or does anyone know about them? I want to know as much as I can before I buy one.

ddavila06

Members
from the tittle i thought u were thinking on buying a burger king... stay away from it! no good anymore :p

never kept black ghost knife. sorry..

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I had a BGK a few years ago. I found it to be shy except for feeding time. It ate frozen blood worms almost exclusively. I also found that it would occasionally remove an eye from tankmates.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I was thinking of putting it with my guinecaras but I dont want to risk them losing an eye.

I kept my bgk with tetras, plecos, loaches and angels. Occasionally an eye would be missing from a loach or tetra. BGKs don't like bright light. They move around the tank mostly at night. If you are looking for something out and about most of the time, a BGK is not the right fish. However, if you don't mind a fish that hides, they are very interesting in their movement.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Greengirl has one, or at least she did a few months back. Send her a PM. (From the little I know from Greengirl about BGKs, everything Andrewtfw says about them is right, which is no surprise.)

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thanks everyone but I dont think I'll get one. I dont want something I'll rarely see that likes to suck out other fishes eyes.

rich_one

Members
I've had three of these at different times over the years, and have never had a problem with them attacking fish. They do like to stay hidden, however... but mines would come out at feeding time, and you'd see him from time to time with the lights out as well.

-Rich

Greengirl

Members
Greengirl has one, or at least she did a few months back. Send her a PM. (From the little I know from Greengirl about BGKs, everything Andrewtfw says about them is right, which is no surprise.)

I still have my ghost knife. He is about 7 inches long. He lives with two large angelfish and about 7 kribs. When he was younger he would take out some fish, so when I was given the kribs, I was kinda hoping he would eat a few. But they hold their own. He lives int he large corral insert which he claims as his territory and sometimes ventures out when he feels like it. He hasn't attached anyone in months. I really love him.

They can be sensitive to water changes when young, but grow and become strong. They do well with lower ph so don't try to add one with Africans. But I think they are great additions to tanks. So beautiful.