• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Freshwater puffer

verbal

CCA Members
If you are looking for "Pea Puffers" a lot of LFS will carry them or at least can order them.

Batfish Aquatics usually has some varieties. They have a couple on their list now - the Friendly Puffer which is the probably the most likely to work in a community tank. Also they have a pair of Carinotetraodon borneensis, if you want a breeding challenge.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
As Jesse suggested, more than one should work out with the pea puffers. Good call on not picking them up at Walmart.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
the Friendly Puffer

I didn't think that those existed...?

Was under the impression that all had a taste for their tankmate's fins and scales.

Fahakas make really cool wet pets imo if you have a 75 to dedicate to one fish.

verbal

CCA Members
I didn't think that those existed...?

Was under the impression that all had a taste for their tankmate's fins and scales.
Michael Barber had a group in a community tank. Colomesus asellus is the scientific name. In terms of combining them, probably about the same as tiger barbs.

I
Fahakas make really cool wet pets imo if you have a 75 to dedicate to one fish.

That will work for a while... We have an Mbu puffer that is a lot of fun.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Michael Barber had a group in a community tank. Colomesus asellus is the scientific name. In terms of combining them, probably about the same as tiger barbs.

Were those the ones he had in a hex tank? Thought they were alone?

That will work for a while... We have an Mbu puffer that is a lot of fun.

Dang! Just looked them up and didn't realize they got 18" long. Was just sharing the overwhelming enthusiasm Ed Martin has for those guys. They are cool fish for sure.

I'll have to check out info on the Mbu.

Thanks Jesse!

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
congressional always has pea, figure 8, spotted, and some times fahaka puffers. They have a huge 47% off everything sale today from 9pm-midnight, I'll be there.

JLW

CCA Members
The Asellus Puffers, or Friendly Puffers, are a very unusual fish. They're schooling puffers -- you really shouldn't keep one, though they seem to do okay. They are NOT tiger barbs; they're fine in most community tanks. I've never had an issue with them nipping fins, even when I kept them with tempting fishes.