• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Synodontis Lucipinnis breeding tips?

EdWhite

Members
Okay, I have a group and they are a little over 2 inches in length. I understand that they are slow growers and they may not even be ready just yet.
I went ahead and built them a breeding hut with terra cotta pot w/hole, a clear base with dark marbles. I plan to pull eggs as soon as I start seeing them and moving them into a 20g to raise/grow out, with a sponge filter.
Basically, does anyone know how to make a DIY sponge filter? Does anyone have experiences/tips that they could share to get me going?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
No offense, but why not support an LFS and buy one? They are dirt cheep as is..

That's true...but done people are the DIY type.
Old coke bottle pebbles and sponge or cotton all you need to do is cut tiny hole at the bottom of the bottle and put an airline tube in and fill with desired media. There's better examples on YouTube and If you search the forums I think there's already an example.

EdWhite

Members
Trust me, I support my LFS quite a bit, like most of us on the forum or in the hobby in general. Not really a money issue at all either.
Personally, I picked up a hobby to give me something to do. I like to make things so I incorporate that in my fish keeping. If I were to just buy everything, I'd just be left with tank maintenance and that would just feel like work.
This also gives me ways to be creative, and keep even my little breeder/grow out tanks unique. Perhaps I can use something other than a coke bottle, like a hollowed statue. I just wanted the basic logistics of how one is made so I could come up with ideas.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've been trying to get mine to breed for a few months....I suspect that they are spawning (or ready to), but I'm not being attentive enough to pull the marbles or whatever media I happen to be using to catch the eggs.

I also think that I've got too many in the tank to be successful (there are probably 6 or 8)....I see fat females all the time in the tank, but all of the lucipinnis crowd into the spawning cone/cave and it's just total whisker and fin chaos inside. Last time I looked into it, there were a lot of sources that suggested conditioning them in one tank, then putting one fat female and a male into a separate tank for a short time to let them do their stuff.

As soon as I have a spare tank....I'm gonna give that approach a try!