• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dithers with Aequidens Diadema

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Like the title says, I am interested in ideas for dithers to go with a large pair of Aequidens Diadema. I have tried both rosy barbs and columbian blue tetras... both were consumed over a few nights when the lights were out. I am interested in suggestions other than silver dollars and buenos aires tetras.

Thanks!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
True.. but tinfoil barbs get too large. I love filamentosa barbs too, but they would detract from the diadema.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've also used pink tail chalceus... sometimes groups of them get along...other times not so much. Someday I'll have a giant tank with a school of a couple dozen + some flagtail prochilodus :)

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I was going to suggest the filamentosa barbs, but you beat me to the punch. I'm sure there are a few other larger barbs that would work, but you would be the one I would ask about them!

I've never had great luck with smaller fish lasting long term as dithers. Even my group of clown loaches isn't as happy as it could be in my 180. I think this has more to do with competition for food than anything else.

If you want to try an inexpensive route, you could always try giant danios if you could find them with some decent size on them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good call on giant danios... they get pretty good sized and are fast enough to - usually - get away...

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I was going to suggest the filamentosa barbs, but you beat me to the punch. I'm sure there are a few other larger barbs that would work, but you would be the one I would ask about them!

I've never had great luck with smaller fish lasting long term as dithers. Even my group of clown loaches isn't as happy as it could be in my 180. I think this has more to do with competition for food than anything else.

If you want to try an inexpensive route, you could always try giant danios if you could find them with some decent size on them.

Yeah, I considered all that popped in my head (overlooked danios). Size is a huge factor. I need them large enough to not be consumed, yet small enough so as not to detract from the diadema as the focal point.