• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Algaeic Driftwood Issue

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'd say screw it and use an commercial aquarium algacide. Yeah, I know... "you aren't addressing the problem.... blah blah blah."

I know you take care of your water changes and you don't have ambitions of growing plants in there ever, so who cares? So what if you have to re-dose in 4 months? Find a product with good reviews that is fish safe and buy a giant bottle of it.

Nuke it.

shopping

My $.02.

Becca

Members
I'd say screw it and use an commercial aquarium algacide. Yeah, I know... "you aren't addressing the problem.... blah blah blah."

I know you take care of your water changes and you don't have ambitions of growing plants in there ever, so who cares? So what if you have to re-dose in 4 months? Find a product with good reviews that is fish safe and buy a giant bottle of it.

Nuke it.

shopping

My $.02.

Tony makes a good point. Also, you won't be stuck in 4 months asking us how you get rid of duckweed :p!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Does that product in the picture treat all kinds of algae? I can't tell from looking online. Website says it "[c]ontrols the main and most persistent types of algae in freshwater aquariums"

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=619

Have a bottle in my collection of fish crap I've bought and never used. I don't advocate it, per se; just pulled the fist generic picture of algaecide I found on Google images to post "for effect."

Hawkman2000

Members
I saw plant safe algea killer. Dont know how that one works, but its worth a shot.

Also add a uv sterilizer to help curb future algae problems.

neut

Members
A potential downside of nuking algae in the tank at large is not removing the dead stuff and as a result recycling the nutrients originally absorbed by the algae, potentially feeding the next algae cycle. Also, I'd check the ingredients of any particular product and consider whether you want those substances in your tank. Not saying don't do it, just that it's better to be informed before leaping right into it. For example, certain water parameters may make some products/ingredients something you don't necessarily want in your tank. Example references:

How algaecides work

Copper sulfate