• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mbuna Community Setup

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Picked up a few things at the convention and will be in the process of shuffling tanks around this weekend. I have the following groups of (angry) mbuna and was wondering if they would go together alright in a 48"x18"x13" tall tank ("50 Long").

-12-15 Ps. demasoni (1"-2")
-8-9 Tropheops sp. elongatus Broadzulu (2.5"-3")
-8 Melanochromis maingano (Thanks Christine!) (2")

Only the Tropheops are sexable.

I also have groups of less aggressive mbuna (white-tail Acei Ngara and Rusties), but was planning on bunking them with other fish. The Acei (3") will go in another 50 Long with my P. phenochilus and the rusties (2") will go in with my A. maylandi in a 40B. These pairings may have to change as these two groups put on some size, but will be ok for now.

So, what do you think? I'm open to putting in one of the two less aggressive species in the community mbuna tank, but think that those three species will probably be entertainment enough.

Thanks.

chriscoli

Administrator
My Maingainos are actually quite "peaceful" in my tank. I've got them in with Hongi, Red Zebras, Yellow Labs, Kenyis, and a Tropheus. The Mainganos do a LOT of digging but not as much defending when another fish wanders into their excavation. They do chase each other in circles around the tank, but I've almost never seen them chase any of the others. Of course, in my tank, the Kenyi keeps everyone in line so without something meaner than they are they might become unruly. :)

WendyFish

Members
Wow, you weren't kidding about angry!

My question would be whether the demasoni and mainganos will aggro on each other given the similarities in coloration and body shape. I don't know how well they read the stripe direction when the base color pattern and elongation are similar.

fischfan13

Banned
Wow, you weren't kidding about angry!

My question would be whether the demasoni and mainganos will aggro on each other given the similarities in coloration and body shape. I don't know how well they read the stripe direction when the base color pattern and elongation are similar.

My thoughts exactly.
I would also add that I would worry that the Tropheops might go after the Dems.
Tony, any chance you could find a different tank for the Demasoni?

minifoot77

Members
what discus? you mean the ones sloshing in my pocket as i walked out the rental room? nah but you can't disassemble any tanks with out proper authority [YT]rIVHNylH1Mk[/YT]

Tony

My thoughts exactly.
I would also add that I would worry that the Tropheops might go after the Dems.
Tony, any chance you could find a different tank for the Demasoni?

Go after as in eat?

The tropheops could end up in a 125 when they get really big down the road, along with the acei and some haps. For the last few months, they've been in the my maylandi breeding group in a 40, lol. Both species have been quite prolific, btw. Go figure.??

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Heaven forbid an SA guy should jump in but when I was doing these ugly fish there was an easy solution that usually made Mbunas of all stripes get along. I know you have decided to dabble on the dark side (be afraid) by purchasing Tropheus (be very afraid). If you can spare one, an adult Tropheus in an Mbuna tank will draw almost all of the fire and return it two fold. No Mbuna can hold it's own with a Tropheus. Just ask her (you know who). You may have seen this at Randalstown. They knew what they were doing.

George

Tony

Heaven forbid an SA guy should jump in but when I was doing these ugly fish there was an easy solution that usually made Mbunas of all stripes get along. I know you have decided to dabble on the dark side (be afraid) by purchasing Tropheus (be very afraid). If you can spare one, an adult Tropheus in an Mbuna tank will draw almost all of the fire and return it two fold. No Mbuna can hold it's own with a Tropheus. Just ask her (you know who). You may have seen this at Randalstown. They knew what they were doing.

George

Wow. What a great thing to do with an extra male....

Thanks George.