• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

September meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsretep

Members
Thanks Steve Lindblad for an interesting and informative presentation on the featherless peacocks. Great photos and videos.

I would also like to say that I wish people in the rear of the meeting would be more respectful and courteous to our speaker and fellow members by refraining from personal conversations during the presentation!!!! Very rude and disrespectful, I admit I am not always completely interested with the subject matter at some meetings but at least I try to remain quiet and attentive.

chriscoli

Administrator
Yep, definitely a great talk!

I agree about the noise, though. There was a lot going on in the back of the room. Well said.

Becca

Members
I'm just going to throw this out there, since we know who is in the back of the room - the people with kids are in the back of the room. You're right, we do talk (we try to keep it to a whisper), our kids make noise, and sometimes we have to talk to manage the kids. Passive aggressive posts on forums don't help, it only makes us feel alienated.

That said, I tried to get closer to hear the speaker and had someone comment rudely to me because of the small amount of noise my kid was making. When I was close without my child, still couldn't hear the speaker. Why - well, he held the mike at his belly-button and he mumbled.

I'll also openly admit that, by the end of the talk, I'd lost interest - it was too long and the speaker's delivery made it too hard to hear and follow.

We even got comments about our "cell phones" (all volume was off and they weren't ringing) while someone 10 feet away was watching videos, with sound, on a tablet.
Honestly, it sometimes feels like those of us with really small kids get singled out.

People come from all walks of life. Those of us who know our crew is a little noisier than others thought we were being polite by trying to stick to the back of the room. We enjoy the meetings and try to support the club with donations to the food and auction tables.

Seriously, we all had it said to our faces multiple times by multiple people at this meeting - the passive aggressive stuff isn't necessary.

If this is really a problem, maybe some meetings could be a little more participatory so that those of us who have trouble maintaining composure during a 2 hour lecture have a few meetings a year we can attend without imposing on the rest of you.

Leffler817

CCA Members
It was a good meeting and great to see everyone again.

Becca, I have a four year old and know the self consciousness of having her around when she is noisy. It doesn't stop me from bring her to the meetings as she likes to attend. I saw you with your child and never thought he was excessively noisy. I'm sorry to hear someone spoke up about him. For that matter, the noisy kids never really bother me, as they are the future of our club. Hopefully. What bothers me is the people who should know better. If the noise level bothered me today, enough for me to look around, I saw mostly adults doing the chatting. I know I'm guilty of chatting in the back but I try to be as discreet as possible. My interpretation on Peter's comment was that it was geared toward those who should know better. I apologize if I'm wrong Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I'm just going to throw this out there, since we know who is in the back of the room - the people with kids are in the back of the room. You're right, we do talk (we try to keep it to a whisper), our kids make noise, and sometimes we have to talk to manage the kids. Passive aggressive posts on forums don't help, it only makes us feel alienated.

That said, I tried to get closer to hear the speaker and had someone comment rudely to me because of the small amount of noise my kid was making. When I was close without my child, still couldn't hear the speaker. Why - well, he held the mike at his belly-button and he mumbled.

I'll also openly admit that, by the end of the talk, I'd lost interest - it was too long and the speaker's delivery made it too hard to hear and follow.

We even got comments about our "cell phones" (all volume was off and they weren't ringing) while someone 10 feet away was watching videos, with sound, on a tablet.
Honestly, it sometimes feels like those of us with really small kids get singled out.

People come from all walks of life. Those of us who know our crew is a little noisier than others thought we were being polite by trying to stick to the back of the room. We enjoy the meetings and try to support the club with donations to the food and auction tables.

Seriously, we all had it said to our faces multiple times by multiple people at this meeting - the passive aggressive stuff isn't necessary.

If this is really a problem, maybe some meetings could be a little more participatory so that those of us who have trouble maintaining composure during a 2 hour lecture have a few meetings a year we can attend without imposing on the rest of you.

Well put, seems like some got called out but others didn't.
As one of the people who sits in the far, far, back i do it bc I never know when my daughter might want to babble, walk, cry, I don't know be a kid....
I did move forward (sat up by the sign in table) with my daughter to listen and did get looks when she tried to respond to Steve Lindblad. Lol she's a year old, she doesn't know better.
I will say its worst to be front and center on your phone then start complaining you can't hear. Maybe the problem is your on your phone. (maybe get off your phone and pay attention)
I propose for the next meeting set the chairs up in rows closer to the speaker so that no one gets left out bc they couldn't get a table up front, or are hard of hearing.
The kids and families can sit all the way in back.
(Does require everyone to put chairs back, but that's a simple fix IMHO)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Folks - having over 100 people at a monthly club meeting, including lots of kids, families... and people who want to get together and talk about fish and trade fish is a good thing. Far better than the alternative.

I'm as guilty as the next guy of having noisy kids, chatting with buddies and otherwise not being totally quiet.

But we've got to figure out how to minimize the disruption and let people focus on the speaker. Some thoughts:

I'll start with what I posted before the meeting:

Please arrive in time to take care of business and get settled a little before 2 PM. Doors open at 1 PM and we can always use a hand getting the tables and chairs set-up, setting the food out and otherwise getting set up.

Check out the fish, buy your raffle tickets, do your fish-deals, grab some snacks and get settled before 2 PM...because it's going to be a full meeting.

I know that this isn't totally possible. Busy people need to come late...or leave early. But trying to get stuff done before 2 PM is a great start to minimizing people doing stuff other than listening to the speaker.

The acoustics of our room aren't ideal and our AV system isn't the loudest for such a large room. Hearing in the back can be tough. If there aren't enough tables (or seats) closer (and where it's easier to hear)...add a table or seats to the front. It's really that simple. We establish the layout of the room. Any other ideas?

I feel like meetings are already pretty packed with activities. I'd like to have more open time for people to hang out, do fish deals and otherwise interact. Before most meetings, there are at least a few folks at the Stained Glass Pub near the meeting place. And, again, we have the room starting at 1 PM (until 6 PM). Sometimes folks get together afterward as well. And we just had a club BBQ, which was a great opportunity to hang out...

But time during the meeting itself can be scarce. We ask speakers to keep things to about an hour...but many (in their enthusiasm and because of answering questions...both good things) go long. That's not going to change. We have a lot more items - typically - than most clubs in our monthly auctions (also a good thing).

Finally, the subject of kids. Reality is that many of us with kids aren't able to attend unless we bring them. And it's a good thing that both parents and kids are at the meetings. I try to keep mine as-occupied-as-possible with 1) playing in the (fenced) playground behind the meeting room, 2) playing in the area outside of the meeting room by the gym (They've invented a game called "Angry Teacher", which, best as I can tell, mostly involves chasing / burning energy), 3) eating (I try to get them some snacks before the program...but alas), 4) quiet activities (quiet video games, coloring, etc.). It's all easier said than done and you do your best. In the past I brought paper and art supplies for the kids to play with but it seemed like they were more into doing their own things. We've also gotten the back-up gym (down the hall) opened for kids to play and chase. Bottom line: Having kids and families at meetings is a good thing and we want to be welcome :) It's not possible to mute children...try to keep them occupied...take them outside if they're making noise...and let's think of ways to keep them occupied together.

Steve's presentation got me thinking about keeping Peacocks again (and - from surreptitious conversations during his presentation - Sorry :) - I know the same was true of several other New World keepers). Thanks Steve for coming all this way and thanks everyone for coming to meetings, supporting the club and being courteous to fellow members. Let's keep this thread constructive...

Matt

Acpape0

Members
I was not able to attend this meeting but as a parent I have to comment. I have always been impressed with the parents that bring the kids, this is no easy task, stressful to say the least...keep doing it, bring your kids.
As for people making Passive aggressive comments to theses parents... they need to grow up and get over it. I mean really, what is wrong with you. Put your self in their shoes before you open your pie hole. Either move to the front or turn up your hearing aid. This is a fish club meeting not a library.

Becca

Members
I think it migh be helpful to suggest a maximum number of slides per presentation so speakers can start to consider how to fit their material into an hour. As someone who occasionally speaks at professional meetings and trainings, I can attest tgat extensive knowledge of a topic doesn't make someone a good speaker. Maybe some of our speakers with extensive knowledge would be more comfortable doing a Q&A session, seminar, or workshop.

Also, I'd be happy to get together a bin of art supplies and games to bring to each meeting for kids to use. I can also bring a large playpen for the rather small ones if people are interested in that.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
My biggest problem with noise yesterday was with the noise that adults were making, not the kids. Please let's not let this thread devolve such that kids are getting picked on and parents are feeling attacked. I don't believe that the original intent of the thread was to focus on kids.....a BOD member had to walk to the back of the room yesterday to tell people (adults) to turn down the volume on the game that they were watching on their phone. That is a totally inappropriate activity to be doing during a talk.

Please also keep in mind that the acoustics in the room are such that if you sit in the back behind the area where the ceiling drops low, you will not be able to hear, but also noise in the back travels easily to the front. Perhaps we do need to reconsider how to arrange seating to accommodate more chairs up font.

As for comments about the speaker, let's also keep in mind that this is a public forum and they (and future speakers) can read what you're writing. Let's keep it constructive. Not everyone found yesterday's talk boring. We bring in some amazing speakers and they often have a lot to say. I attend a lot of professional talks and have given my fair share, too. Keeping on time is often a difficult skill for subject matter experts and I'm grateful they are willing to share their information with us. Whether they are good or boring has no impact on the audience's obligation of courtesy.

blkmjk

Members
While I was unable to attend the meeting yesterday I feel as a father that has brought his daughters to the meetings before I will say it is difficult. Being an interested hobbyist and a father at the same time. I personally never felt out of place. Nor have I felt as if my family was unwanted at the meeting by the other members. If fact I have felt the complete opposite. While I have surely been guilty of not being completely interested in the topic of discussion I do attempt to be polite and courteous to the speaker and fellow members. And do my absolute best at making sure my children are doing the same. If I had a single suggestion to make it would be a louder speaker system or maybe a microphone that could be clipped to the shirt of the speaker thus eliminating the user error while using the microphone. Just my 2 cents. Having met more than a few of the members here I feel that any perceived malice is a misunderstanding plain and simple.

Drew

rsretep

Members
Thank you Christine for clarification. I never mentioned noisy children, the issue is adults who should know better. IMHO

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I had no problem with the noise level. It is great that parents bring their kids and can attend the meetings. Keeping the kids in the back is appropriate since they are not interested in paying attention to the speaker. Noisy or crying kids can be taken out into the garden if not raining or into the hallways. Maybe we should close and lock the door near the speaker as we use to. That keeps out hall noise and prevents traffic of adults and kids from walking through the talk. Might need a durable sign or signs we can post on both sides of that door during the talks and take them down during the auction.

The discussion on rows of chairs should continue. Perhaps a couple rows of chairs in front with the normal tables behind them would provide needed places for people who want to be able to sit closer to the speaker.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
The discussion on rows of chairs should continue. Perhaps a couple rows of chairs in front with the normal tables behind them would provide needed places for people who want to be able to sit closer to the speaker.

I think that would be best. Maybe rows in the middle and the tables on either side of the rows of chairs

The speaker was not boring at all. But I will agree just need to bring the mic closer to his mouth. Someone could have suggested it. I know I didn't.

As for the acoustics if the room....who knew that sitting in the far back would sound travel further to the front. (There where kids with iPads out parents on their phones, and others on speaking on their phones) and all where in the back of the room. I would feel different if this was up front by the presentation.

Again it was very interesting to watch a person who complains blatantly be on their phone in front of the speaker. If your phone was that interesting, you can't complain about not being able to hear.

As for the talk I was very interested on asking in what region the peacocks were defending their fry? Did he think that certain conditions could have lead to this? Was it one, a few, or a lot of them in that area doing this?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Folks - the layout of the room is completely up to us. So if you want to try a new layout, please come a bit early and make it happen...

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
The speaker was not boring at all. But I will agree just need to bring the mic closer to his mouth. Someone could have suggested it. I know I didn't.

Sometimes those things are hard to fix. Whenever I set a speaker up before their talk I would offer them their choice of clip-on mic or hand-held. Both have distinct advantages and disadvantages and both need to be used correctly. Jason is far better than I ever was at setting up the AV properly and working with the speakers to maximize the sound (volume AND quality). Yesterday, Jason did work with the speaker to get the mic closer at the start of the talk, and I did go up and let him know that the sound in the back was poor.

Our setup is better than many other clubs out there (heck, the fact that we even have AV equipment shouldn't be taken for granted). Trust me when I say that given that room's layout, we're getting the best volume and quality that we can out of our setup.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Great post!

My biggest problem with noise yesterday was with the noise that adults were making, not the kids. Please let's not let this thread devolve such that kids are getting picked on and parents are feeling attacked. I don't believe that the original intent of the thread was to focus on kids.....a BOD member had to walk to the back of the room yesterday to tell people (adults) to turn down the volume on the game that they were watching on their phone. That is a totally inappropriate activity to be doing during a talk.

Please also keep in mind that the acoustics in the room are such that if you sit in the back behind the area where the ceiling drops low, you will not be able to hear, but also noise in the back travels easily to the front. Perhaps we do need to reconsider how to arrange seating to accommodate more chairs up font.

As for comments about the speaker, let's also keep in mind that this is a public forum and they (and future speakers) can read what you're writing. Let's keep it constructive. Not everyone found yesterday's talk boring. We bring in some amazing speakers and they often have a lot to say. I attend a lot of professional talks and have given my fair share, too. Keeping on time is often a difficult skill for subject matter experts and I'm grateful they are willing to share their information with us. Whether they are good or boring has no impact on the audience's obligation of courtesy.

+1

I wasn't there yesterday, but I agree with everything Christine wrote, as far as it applies to meetings generally.

Becca

Members
Christine, that member was my husband and he didn't have the volume on, at least that's what he's telling me. The noise that I noticed was from kids watching videos on an Ipad a table over.

I brought him with me because I needed some help with heavier items in my car and because I wanted some help with Isaac. If it's not ok for the family we bring to watch a game when they join us to give us a hand, how is it ok for the kids and wives of others to do this? Or is it not? Are our family members supposed to chauffer us and wait in the car?

Last edited:

fishgirl37

Members
Hey guys and gals Im new here and yesterday was my first CCA meeting. I was load talking in the back and Im very sorry. I get excited to talk to other people with the same interests and it has been a long summer of no fishy happenings , with that said again I am sorry, and I will keep quite in the future if you will have me. I really did have a good time and enjoyed the speaker and auction. Thanks CCA!

chriscoli

Administrator
Christine, that member was my husband and he didn't have the volume on, at least that's what he's telling me. The noise that I noticed was from kids watching videos on an Ipad a table over.

I brought him with me because I needed some help with heavier items in my car and because I wanted some help with Isaac. If it's not ok for the family we bring to watch a game when they join us to give us a hand, how is it ok for the kids and wives of others to do this? Or is it not? Are our family members supposed to chauffer us and wait in the car?

Becca, you seem to be very upset about how yesterday's meeting went. Please feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss anything. You have my number.

Status
Not open for further replies.