• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Glass Dividers- Your Input

zackcrack00

Members
So as some of you know, I have to get rid of many tanks I have. To keep breeding fish, I am going to need tanks within tanks. So, to raise fry, I am going to put glass dividers in 10g tanks. This would work for livebearers, which was my main idea. So, my questions are:
-What dimensions do I need for the glass dividers?
-How do I install them?
-What would the dimensions for glass dividers be for a 75g?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Poret would be an even better idea.

As for the sewing mesh, you can get it in most craft stores (like Michael's). You'd have to make a frame or something to hold it in place.

dogofwar

CCA Members
The amount of crud that accumulates in Poret is incredible, especially in tanks with plecos. Some would argue that it's inert and just looks bad. I don't like to have it in the tank.

What I do on tanks in which I have a Poret as a divider and can't remove it... is to periodically move it 6" either way. It will dump a lot of the debris where it can be siphoned up. You can also siphon the Poret directly.

Otherwise, you can use the Poret as a divider but keep the fish in a net breeder or the like. This way, they won't get eaten through the net (as they would in a tank with adult fish) and you can remove and rinse the Poret regularly.

Another strategy might be to just set up a tank for growing out fry... and keep a bunch of net breeders on it (and no big fish in the tank).

Matt

Acpape0

Members
Why not use acrylic with large 1/2" -1"holes drilled all over it so you still get decent flow and then cover both sides ( or one)with sewing mesh with a little silicone to hold mesh in place?.... Rigid , easy to clean , fry safe, still get water flow

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Another strategy might be to just set up a tank for growing out fry... and keep a bunch of net breeders on it (and no big fish in the tank).

Matt
I have a 10 gallon with breeder nets all over the inside and it works great as a live bearer fry tank. Once I set up my fry rack I'll seperate the different species in different tanks so I can keep them in species specific paramaters (mainly growing out the goodeids in cooler tanks and the other livebearers in warmer tanks). This will also allow me to make more space for the 10 different live bearer species Im breeding/growing out to breed. But for now, the "tank full of breeder nets" method works great.

Why not use acrylic with large 1/2" -1"holes drilled all over it so you still get decent flow and then cover both sides ( or one)with sewing mesh with a little silicone to hold mesh in place?.... Rigid , easy to clean , fry safe, still get water flow

Thats a good idea

neut

Members
I've used: clear acrylic sheets with small holes drilled into them (more like 1/4 inch, rather than 1/2 or larger), adjustable window screens (similar to this), and standard tank dividers for a 55 gal tank, which can be doubled up to fit a larger tank. Of any of these, the acrylic is the cleanest in terms of not collecting any dirt around the edges.

I haven't bred livebearers since the 1960s, but, generally speaking, imo one of the easiest setups for different groups of fry is a 55 gal tank with standard tank dividers for multiple sections. But in wider (front to back) tanks, I've done all those I mention above. Personally, I much prefer to raise fry in a decent size tank, with dividers if or as needed, than dealing with a multiplicity of little tanks. Just a lot less fussing needed to maintain water quality in a larger tank with greater water volume and bigger filtration ime.