• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My in wall 125 gallon tank build thread

amiricle

Members
Hey guys,
I am currently finishing my basement and am having the builders place my 5 foot 125 gallon tank in the wall. I will show my progress in this thread. The builders said it will probably be 2 months before the entire basement is finished, but here are some pictures of the beginning of the project.

Ive been thinking a lot about which rout to go in terms of filtration. I originally wanted to build a 75 gallon sump (I have an extra 75 gallon in my basement) because I wanted to add more volume for the system. I started looking into how much it would cost and think it might just be better to get an FX5. It cost a lot to get custom cut glass to make a DIY sump. What do you guys think??

In terms of lighting, I used to have a reef and am going to use my old metal halid lights. I LOVE the shimmer halids produce, and they really bring out the color in my fish. Since I am using old equipment, I am going to use a 36 2x 150 watt sunpod fixture, and a 12 70 watt sunpod fixture. Since I dont plan on using the halids all the time, I will also have the normal 5 foot fluorescent light fixture that came with the tank on there also.

Here are some pics, sorry if it takes a while to post updated pictures, the people working on the basement are concentrating more on finishing the bedrooms right now.
The stand for the tank is not built yet, they are going to build it this week.

1.jpg

2.jpg

This is the door to the closet behind the tank where I will hide all of the filters and lights.
3.jpg

This is the view from inside the closet. The stand for the tank is not built yet.
4.jpg

Another in closet view
5.jpg

This is a pic showing the bar that will be built next to the tank.
6.jpg

Another view of behind the tank
7.jpg

8.jpg

This metal beam is why I am using 2 halid light fixtures. Its gonna be a tight fit for the lights.
9.jpg

Here are the sunpod fixtures. I love these things. They have blue and white moon lights as well.
10.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any pointers (this is my fist in wall fish tank). I really wish I was putting a 180 in there but am running really low on cash since finishing the basement in the first place costs so much.
This site is amazing and I have learned so much from everyone on here. Thank you guys.

Peacockbass

check out the pictures in my 265 tread. http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7849&page=4

There are a few shots of the dyi sump i built. I am very pleased how it turned out and i build it all for about 150 bucks. biggest cost is the pump and i am running a mag drive 18. I pretty much followed the other threads on here for the sump. It keeps my tank crystal clear. Is the tank drilled? If not you can use overflow boxs. a lot of people dont like the overflow boxs, but i have not had a problem. No floods yet, just make sure you keep a aqua lifter on them. Here is the link to the thread i followed. thanks again Charlie for letting me copy. http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forum...ead.php?t=3621

dustin

Members
IMO I would go w a sump. If u already have a 75g for it, glass is not hard at all to cut yourself. I just built a sump from a 75g for my 220 saltwater for a lil bit of nothing. Sumps are so much easier to maintenance than canisters. Pull a pad out, throw a new one in. Done deal! Add water when needed. I hate canisters. PIA! I finally talked my buddy into goin sump. He loves it. He used to be a hard core fx5 guy too. Is ur main tank reef ready or do u have to use an overflow box?

amiricle

Members
Thanks for the info guys, my tank is not drilled. My friend said he would help me drill it if needed, but there is the risk that something might go wrong. I have no experience with overflows. I think the added volume of the 75gal sump would be really beneficial.

dustin

Members
If u go w an overflow box, I would highly recommend a CPR box or check out gl*******s.com. If u need some help or more info u can pm me. I would seriously consider a sump tho. Yea there r people that hate them but they prob didn't know what they were doing as far as setting them up and understanding how the work. I hear the word "flooding" alot. I've never had that prob and I'm running 3 tanks w sumps.

Peacockbass

If you have any questions when your ready to build send me a pm. be glad to help anyway i can. cant wait to see it finished i love tanks build into the wall.

amiricle

Members
The work on the tank has been going a lot slower than I thought. The tank is finally in the wall. So far I only have one of the lights set up. I’m plan on hanging the other light later this week.
I also got the filter- an FX5. I’m really excited to try the FX5 out, I have heard great things.
Now I need to buy a heater big enough for the tank.

fx5.jpg

tank1.jpg

amiricle

Members
Looks nice but I want to know more about the avy!

Thank you! Its not my porsche but the 993 is my all time favorite car. I’ve been searching for a 993 turbo for a while now, just waiting for the right one. I currently have an e46 M3 which is a blast to drive.

amiricle

Members
Looking good. What are you planning on stocking in there again?

Thanks, I am going to transfer tthe fish from my 55 temp holding tank:
1 Venustus
2 Livingstonii
1 yellow lab
5 Fronts
12 troph dubosi fry from my dubosi bredding trio
1 compressiceps
1M/1F blue ahli
1 Fuscotaeniatus
5 BN pleco

amiricle

Members
I'm surprised nobody has asked about the bar that will be next to the tank.

I just installed some lights over the bar today, Ill post some pics soon. The basement should be finished in about a month; the bar and the tank are definitely the best parts of the basement!

amiricle

Members
Im having a hard time choosing my substrate. I have always LOVED the look of sand, but the sand in my other 2 tanks drives me crazy sometimes. The sand destroys my AC110 impellers. My fish always scoop up the sand, then spit it out, and then the sand gets sucked up by my AC110s.
For any of you FX5 owners out there with sand substrate, is this a problem for you?

I dont want to run into this problem again, so I might try going with small pebbles from home depot. What do you guys think?

For the rock I am going to be using live rock that is now dead rock from my old saltwater tank.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think that Africans enjoy playing in the sand. I have had the same problem with sand and ACs. In tall tanks, I use only a single lift of the U-tube to keep the input up high, away from most of the sifted sand. On short tanks, I put a coarse sponge over the strainer. This is not ideal, but it works.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Im having a hard time choosing my substrate. I have always LOVED the look of sand, but the sand in my other 2 tanks drives me crazy sometimes. The sand destroys my AC110 impellers. My fish always scoop up the sand, then spit it out, and then the sand gets sucked up by my AC110s.
For any of you FX5 owners out there with sand substrate, is this a problem for you?

I dont want to run into this problem again, so I might try going with small pebbles from home depot. What do you guys think?

For the rock I am going to be using live rock that is now dead rock from my old saltwater tank.
PUT THE INTAKE 4" FROM THE SAND AND YOU SHOULDNT HAVE A PROBLEM. YOU COULD ALSO PUT A SPONGE(PRE FLITER) AROUND YOUR INTAKE. ;)