• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Peppered Cory

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So I bought a group of one inch cories about a week ago and noticed no issues. Today I noticed that the three that hung out together decided to chase and attack one of the others. He's pretty beat up don't know if he or she's going to make it. Any idea why they would single one out. They are about an inch long?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Could be, the one is a female and the others are male. Do they chase the one up and down the glass?

Blaise

b considine

Courting and successfully breeding are two different issues. I have corys that show breeding behavior regularly but have yet to spawn.

And, I think the odds are pretty good that you end up with both sexes in a group of six. The female will be slightly larger and more "rounded". Best way to tell is by looking from above.

Blaise

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Courting and successfully breeding are two different issues. I have corys that show breeding behavior regularly but have yet to spawn.

And, I think the odds are pretty good that you end up with both sexes in a group of six. The female will be slightly larger and more "rounded". Best way to tell is by looking from above.

Blaise

Thanks and good point. I separated the one that got beaten up. Hopefully it didn't get too knocked around.
These are in my wife's (even though i do the maintenance and research, she just picks out fish) 90 gallon planted tank with angels BN and soon to add tetras or other schooling fish and more plants.

Thanks

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Becca my tank is 79° F I've read that mid to upper seventies is fine for Angel show tanks. As a cold blooded animal, angelfish will live longer at lower temps. Higher temperatures will promote faster growth, more frequent breeding, better immune system response and shorter life spans. And the peppered can live in 72°-79° F with ph anywhere from 5.2 to 8
Or did I get my info wrong.
If so any suggestions?

b considine

Your peppered cory will do fine in your current temps. It would do better, however at the low end of the spectrum.

Suggestion: Drop the temp to 72.

Blaise

mchambers

Former CCA member
If you want to keep angels and corydoras, I'd suggest going with a warmer water corydoras, such as Sterbai or Gossei. (Probably can get some pretty easily this Sunday at the Dulles Hilton, hint, hint.)

Becca

Members
If you want to keep angels and corydoras, I'd suggest going with a warmer water corydoras, such as Sterbai or Gossei. (Probably can get some pretty easily this Sunday at the Dulles Hilton, hint, hint.)

Agreed. Having kept the "pepper cats" before, they tend to fall prey to infections and parasites a lot more often at higher temperatures.