• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

September meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnscottant

Members
I had logged on to say how good it was to see some familiar faces and to say how impressed I was at the meeting Saturday. As President of the Cichlid Club of York CCY, it is great to see so many fish fanatics of different ages, sex and race all piled up together to enjoy the hobby. My hope is that our club will one day mirror the success of the CCA. You have a great club and take it from someone who has started the CCY and watched it grow- it is not an easy process. So let me give you guys a round of applauds! I enjoyed myself and I look forward to coming back every month. I hope you guys really realize how special your club is and not let a few fixable bumps in the road (such as noise) be a deterrent. Rock on guys!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I had logged on to say how good it was to see some familiar faces and to say how impressed I was at the meeting Saturday. As President of the Cichlid Club of York CCY, it is great to see so many fish fanatics of different ages, sex and race all piled up together to enjoy the hobby. My hope is that our club will one day mirror the success of the CCA. You have a great club and take it from someone who has started the CCY and watched it grow- it is not an easy process. So let me give you guys a round of applauds! I enjoyed myself and I look forward to coming back every month. I hope you guys really realize how special your club is and not let a few fixable bumps in the road (such as noise) be a deterrent. Rock on guys!

Thank you.

As for everyone else. Anyone want to try moving stuff around?
I'm glad to come by early next meeting to move stuff around and see if it helps.
Lol I can even designate seats for the trouble makers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JasonC

Members
If I had a single suggestion to make it would be a louder speaker system or maybe a microphone that could be clipped to the shirt of the speaker thus eliminating the user error while using the microphone.

We actually have a lavalier mic... I prefer not to use it because it is just as prone to user error as a wired mic is, and typically sounds much worse. The best way to mic a speaker in these kinds of situations is a headset mic, but they, especially the decent ones, are exceedingly expensive for a club to be able to afford.

Yesterday, Jason did work with the speaker to get the mic closer at the start of the talk, and I did go up and let him know that the sound in the back was poor.

Our setup is better than many other clubs out there (heck, the fact that we even have AV equipment shouldn't be taken for granted). Trust me when I say that given that room's layout, we're getting the best volume and quality that we can out of our setup.

Yeah. Room acoustics are pretty rotten. And yeah... they work exactly the opposite that one would expect a room in that layout should work. Sound in the high area goes up and gets trapped up there. Sound in the back low areas pushes forward in a tunnel type effect. Due to the equipment we have, I often have to deal with presenters standing right in our speakers sweet spots in their distribution pattern... feedback nightmares if you dont know what you are doing.

Personally, for mixing a room, I would want to be farther back.. like near under the ledge.. but this is not feasible... and I'm not going to get up and walk around the room cause that is distracting and rude. The room is frustrating. Dont believe me? Come give it a try. I would be happy to teach anyone how to use the club gear and let you take a stab at it. Always would be happy to train someone how to do this stuff so I can occasionally sit back and just enjoy the presentations!:lol:

If we are serious about re configuring the layout, here is what I suggest:
- keep a table front and centered on the screen... needs to be for the projector, due to cable lengths, and also to handle auction logistics.
- do 2 or 3 rows of chairs in a chevron configuration. That would give all a good view of the screen... keep it condensed, and I can move the speakers closer to center and possibly wrangle a better coverage field for the folks who want to hear.
- be understanding of the room and its flaws. For instance, there is really nothing I can do to get the speakers where they belong, in front of the microphone, so there is only so far I can pump the volume up when there is a live mic on stage.

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Noise

When I was at the meeting I thought the same exact thing as Peter stated on this thread and I was sitting near the back at the end line of tables and chairs. The speaker was fantastic, the kids were fun to watch and not an issue at all. I was having a hard time hearing due to couple of reasons listed already, the main one being adults having conversations a little louder than they should have been. In my opinion I also think the louder conversations were rude and disrespectful. The good thing is this why we have forums: to put opinions out there, discuss, and move on. Just my opinion, Jim

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
My thoughts, for what they're worth:

No issue with kids. I've been there.
No real issue with phones. Seems like there's rarely an interruption.
Enjoyed the speaker, but at almost 2 hours, my interest waned toward the end. The length also didn't allow for questions. And it seemed like people did have questions.

Blaise

chriscoli

Administrator
We did get started at least 20 min (maybe 30 min) late so keep in mind heat the speaker didn't start till around 2:30.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
FFS.

This is the only post I will make on the subject as I'm somewhat disgusted that I have to explain this to adults. BUT.. you called me out, so I will respond.

After sitting at the raffle ticket table and being able to hear a phone with a game on for 10 minutes, I walked to the back of the room and very very very politely asked a member to turn down the volume on his phone (you know me, I'm one of the friendliest people you know). He smiled, apologized and turned it off. The noise stopped. Maybe I was mistaken, maybe it was a kid turning off the volume on his tablet simultaneously when the adult's screen went black. Who knows? If I am mistaken, I am sorry for a making a very reasonable request. Either way, big deal... move on.

I did it. I'll do it again. I'm a very cordial person, but don't really care if people get butt-hurt over something like this (and yes, you clearly are butt-hurt if you come on here and try to call me out).

Here's the bottom line (again...I really cannot believe that I have to explain this to adults). Is it acceptable to listen to music on your phone/tablet without headphones at the movies? How about at a nice dinner? Your kids at a school assembly? The metro train or an airplane? Child or adult, the answer is no. It is not acceptable.

Well consider our speakers for a minute. Like many of our speakers, Steve flew here on a 6 hour flight, took time away from his business and family to speak for us. Why? Certainly not to get paid for it... Why? To help our fellow hobbyists.

How would you feel if:
a)there was a bunch of adult chatter and electronic noise in the back of the room?
b)people publicly criticized about your talk?
Pretty ****ty, right?

Be polite. Have a bit of courtesy for the speakers and the members of this club who bend over backwards every month to keep things going. We don't ask a lot of out membership and asking them to be courteous is not asking a lot.

If you or your kids cannot stand being unplugged for an hour or heaven forbid - an hour and a half, then maybe you should bring some headphones.

It wasn't an issue this time, but I'll go further and say that if anybody's kid is screaming, do what you would do at the movie theater or dinner... take them outside. The POLITE thing to do is not to ruin it for the rest of the people. I am a parent and learning that you do what you have to do quite often. Sorry that you have to miss out by doing the right thing. Forcing 75 other people to listen to your child so that you don't have to miss the programming is just plain selfish.

I won't even address the indignant comments criticizing the speaker. If you don't have the attention span to appreciate what 90% of the club members in the room do, then don't come to the meetings or just come for the auction. Pretty simple.

I picked up our speaker on Friday at Dulles during rush hour and dropped him off yesterday evening. I spent the whole weekend with our speaker. I had folks over to the house after the meeting for dinner and drinks. I probably spent 6-7 hours in the car total, finding fun things to do. I went out of pocket on a lot of expenses. This is what the speaker chair does every month we have an out of town speaker. I don't care though... it's a great opportunity to spend time with a friend or make a new one and help out the club at the same time. I'll continue to do it.

Then I get on here and see you complaining. It's bull**** like this that makes me not want to do this anymore. But I'm not going to let pretty comments like yours bring me down. I'm not going to let the complainers of the world ruin it for others.

It's not all about you, Becca.

Cheers.

Becca

Members
FFS.

This is the only post I will make on the subject as I'm somewhat disgusted that I have to explain this to adults. BUT.. you called me out, so I will respond.

After sitting at the raffle ticket table and being able to hear a phone with a game on for 10 minutes, I walked to the back of the room and very very very politely asked a member to turn down the volume on his phone (you know me, I'm one of the friendliest people you know). He smiled, apologized and turned it off. The noise stopped. Maybe I was mistaken, maybe it was a kid turning off the volume on his tablet simultaneously when the adult's screen went black. Who knows? If I am mistaken, I am sorry for a making a very reasonable request. Either way, big deal... move on.

I did it. I'll do it again. I'm a very cordial person, but don't really care if people get butt-hurt over something like this (and yes, you clearly are butt-hurt if you come on here and try to call me out).

Here's the bottom line (again...I really cannot believe that I have to explain this to adults). Is it acceptable to listen to music on your phone/tablet without headphones at the movies? How about at a nice dinner? Your kids at a school assembly? The metro train or an airplane? Child or adult, the answer is no. It is not acceptable.

Well consider our speakers for a minute. Like many of our speakers, Steve flew here on a 6 hour flight, took time away from his business and family to speak for us. Why? Certainly not to get paid for it... Why? To help our fellow hobbyists.

How would you feel if:
a)there was a bunch of adult chatter and electronic noise in the back of the room?
b)people publicly criticized about your talk?
Pretty ****ty, right?

Be polite. Have a bit of courtesy for the speakers and the members of this club who bend over backwards every month to keep things going. We don't ask a lot of out membership and asking them to be courteous is not asking a lot.

If you or your kids cannot stand being unplugged for an hour or heaven forbid - an hour and a half, then maybe you should bring some headphones.

It wasn't an issue this time, but I'll go further and say that if anybody's kid is screaming, do what you would do at the movie theater or dinner... take them outside. The POLITE thing to do is not to ruin it for the rest of the people. I am a parent and learning that you do what you have to do quite often. Sorry that you have to miss out by doing the right thing. Forcing 75 other people to listen to your child so that you don't have to miss the programming is just plain selfish.

I won't even address the indignant comments criticizing the speaker. If you don't have the attention span to appreciate what 90% of the club members in the room do, then don't come to the meetings or just come for the auction. Pretty simple.

I picked up our speaker on Friday at Dulles during rush hour and dropped him off yesterday evening. I spent the whole weekend with our speaker. I had folks over to the house after the meeting for dinner and drinks. I probably spent 6-7 hours in the car total, finding fun things to do. I went out of pocket on a lot of expenses. This is what the speaker chair does every month we have an out of town speaker. I don't care though... it's a great opportunity to spend time with a friend or make a new one and help out the club at the same time. I'll continue to do it.

Then I get on here and see you complaining. It's bull**** like this that makes me not want to do this anymore. But I'm not going to let pretty comments like yours bring me down. I'm not going to let the complainers of the world ruin it for others.

It's not all about you, Becca.

Cheers.

Thanks, Tony, I realized that, which is why I didn't name names, spent time on the phone trying to brainstorm with Christine last night, and am getting ready to spend a considerable amount of my own money to try to put together an art-kit for the kids and go to the effort of bringing a big play pen for the little ones.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I got up once at the beginning of the talk and asked some people to quiet down. 3 of them were talking at the food. I then moved up further in the room.
The kids are not generally the problem. You guys do GREAT with the kids. They are going to make noise. It's not a problem from what I see. The kids get board and it will happen. We want kids there. We have always wanted the kids there.

My thing is that people in general should just think before doing.
If you come in late, do so quietly.
Walk in, find a seat.
Wait for the talk to be over before you go to get food. Rattling around in the bags of chips and such does make noise. The only people who should get food during the talk are the people who are stuck behind the tables helping before hand.
Don't go up to get your membership card or raffle tickets during the talk.
Don't walk to the front of the room to put fish on the table during the talk.

The talk was great. It kept my attention even though I saw it in July at the ACA convention. I kept going on my phone looking at prices of his fish when he said a name.
Yes it was a little long, but he was interupted a dozen times during the talk.
Plus if you are paying to have someone fly 3000 miles you don't want to here him talk for 30 minutes. I watched a talk at another club a couple years ago. The speaker flew 1000 miles and the talk lasted maybe 20 minutes. LOL Waste of money for that club.

All in all, the CCA has always had great meetings. Most clubs would kill to have 1/2 the amount of people show up for a meeting. I think I counted 97 adults plus the kids.
Most would kill to be able to fly speakers in.

I personally think the tables are spread out too much in the main/ high ceiling portion of the room. At first I was sitting near the food. When I moved up about 20 feet, I could hear much better. Even with my hearing. Its not as quiet as some places but its what we can afford. It just means that we all have to watch our noise level and think of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.