• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Lake Malawi African Cichlids

NYfan78

Members
Hi everyone. I have a 55gal. with crushed coral and going to TFW Saturday to get a bunch of Texas Holey Rock for the tank. Before i buy any fish from them i wanted to see if anyone here has any willing to sell. I really dont want full grown fish, so babies and juvies would be cool. Would be nice to see them grow. Any help would be great! Everyone seems pretty cool on here and would like to get to know everyone more, so I am going to try and make it to a meeting to check it out in Feb. possibly. Thanks again site rocks!

Scott

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
What are you looking for? Mbuna? Peacocks? Haps?

We've pretty much got it all. :)

NYfan78

Members
I am not sure. Can there be a mix. This will be my first african cichlid tank.but i have kept fish for years now. Id like alot of different colors and no breeding. suggestions?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Maybe some haps...Exochromis, tyranochromis, champsochromis, nimbochromis...

Nah, jk. (They get a bit on the big side)

I'd pickone or two species of dwarf mbuna to throw in. Two contrasting colors is a common setup for a 55.

Alternatively, all male small haps or paecocks is a popular choice, but can get a bit more pricey.

NYfan78

Members
I like the all ale haps and peacocks due to there bright colors. I am going to TFW tomorow morning to get about 40#s of Texas holey rock, can i buy some fish that day or should i wait till sunday after i get the rock set up and let everything settle for 24 hours? what do u all think??

Last edited:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Mixing different types of fish can work if you're careful. Sticking with fish that grow to the same overall size and have similar temperaments will give you your best luck. But its still a trial and error process. Jim and some of the other guys at TFW can help guide you with what could mix together well.

If your tank is properly cycled, then you can bring fish home with you saturday. If the tank has run with "used" substrate or filter media, then it should be ok for fish. If the tank is empty now, pick up a few fish from TFW and let them settle in for a week or two. Post what you have and the other CCA members can tell you what else would possibly mix well. I'm sure you could find fish to purchase by the february meeting, and at minimum bring money for the auction and there should be a few types of Africans available.

I'll be at TFW, so hopefully we'll run into each other. Otherwise the next meeting would be a great opportunity to meet members. Good luck

chris_todd

Members
Anyone selling any mumbas????

We have some juvie (roughly 2-3") yellow labs we could let go (maybe four or so), and we're not far from you (Catonsville). Our 65g Malawi tank is a bit overstocked at the moment. I don't think I'd be able to sex them, and if you get a mix of sexes, you'll definitely get fry, yellow labs are the guppies of the Cichlid world, LOL.

PM me if you're interested.