• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sponge filters for multiple tanks-- need recommendations

Having set up a couple of quarantine tanks in my modest fish room with my Aquamania booty, I'm getting a bit concerned about all of the electrical plugs going into my outlet, what with all the heaters and HOB filters I've got. So, to declutter the outlet, I'm thinking about eliminating the HOB filters, going with a robust air pump and using it to power multiple sponge filters for all of the tanks in the room.

My room currently has a 29 gal, two 10 gals, plus a few 5 gallon tanks that I'm using as quarantine tanks (the quarantine tanks may eventually make way for another 29 gal tank or some 10 gals for breeding projects). The non-quarantine tanks are planted community tanks.

So, I'm looking for an air pump that can service about six tanks (total of 65-80ish gallons). Anybody have some recommendations? I'm looking for as quiet an air pump as possible, as this is going in a room that'll be right next to my bedroom.

Also, I've never set up a sponge filter before. Any recs on particular brands of sponge filter? Will I get enough mechanical filtration? Are there any special considerations I need to be aware of when connecting multiple tanks to the same air pump?

Thanks!

ddavila06

Members
wise decision! for sponges i like these: http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/ati-sponge-filters.html

i use the pro version of them.

for air pump i like this: http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/eco-air-pumps.html

i got the 8 outlet one for my 8 20 highs and is way overkill.. keep in mind the distance the airline tubing goes is not greater that about 4 feet from the
pump.
btw, one of the two outlets at max power was powering 8 5.5s sponge filters just fine. love these little things!!!

i use silicone airline tubing, doesnt harden like the other clear plastic ones and doesnt fall off easily..

my tanks are all in the basement next to the AC/heater room so i have no need for heaters. during summer i keep the ac door closed to avoid overcooling and during winter i keep the door off and the room is nice and warm :)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Having set up a couple of quarantine tanks in my modest fish room with my Aquamania booty, I'm getting a bit concerned about all of the electrical plugs going into my outlet, what with all the heaters and HOB filters I've got. So, to declutter the outlet, I'm thinking about eliminating the HOB filters, going with a robust air pump and using it to power multiple sponge filters for all of the tanks in the room.

My room currently has a 29 gal, two 10 gals, plus a few 5 gallon tanks that I'm using as quarantine tanks (the quarantine tanks may eventually make way for another 29 gal tank or some 10 gals for breeding projects). The non-quarantine tanks are planted community tanks.

So, I'm looking for an air pump that can service about six tanks (total of 65-80ish gallons). Anybody have some recommendations? I'm looking for as quiet an air pump as possible, as this is going in a room that'll be right next to my bedroom.

Also, I've never set up a sponge filter before. Any recs on particular brands of sponge filter? Will I get enough mechanical filtration? Are there any special considerations I need to be aware of when connecting multiple tanks to the same air pump?

Thanks!

I too am interested in other's input as far as what type of pump to use. As for the brand of sponge filter, I highly recommend Hydra Aquatics. They even make a mini sponge filter that would be perfect for your 5g tanks.
Pat was nice enough to loan me a gang valve to use at AM2 that I was very pleased with. I do not know the brand/model, but perhaps he will chime in.

As far as special considerarions for multiple tanks on one pump the only important thing is that each tank has its own check valve before the gang valve its plugged into. Depending on your preference amd future plans you could go with one pump 8 outlets or one pump with one larger outlet and just set up your system with with pvc so you can add to it whenever you want. I like the latter, no many how many times I say I'm done I always end up with more tanks. Hydrofarm makes some nice ones. If you look at the "friday progress" thread I believe lucas and zack had a sweet little set up in their hotel room like 20+ bins with one air pump.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Spine

Members
If you plan on using one pump have spare parts for your main pump and a backup pump if possible. Whenever something breaks its always at a bad time

Leffler817

CCA Members
I love the Alita air pumps. I use an A6 and it's super quiet and crazy strong. I have a 12 gang manifold but I'm only using 7 or 8 valves. I also have a collection of sponge filters but like the Swiss Tropicals the best.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Also keep in mind that when you lose power it may be eassier to supply back up power to one air pump rather than 14 random peices of equipment. You should absolutely think of your back up plan before such a situation. Keep in mind that this one pump will be the life blood of every single tank. This could be a very good thing or in the case of a malfunction a very bad thing.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JasonC

Members
+1 on the Alita... ridiculously quiet... running the 6A and it is absolutely SILENT. currently running 7 tanks on it with room to expand. Best $100 I've spent yet in this hobby.

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
this is how i have my fry tanks setup. very cost effective. I got my sponge filters from kens like previously mentions. I first purchased EcoPlus Commercial Air 5 but in less than a year it sounded like a machine gun. I now have Alita AL-60 Linear Air Pump. if i did not have bleed out air because the pump is to powerful you would not even know the pump is on. I made my own air manifold using pvc pipe and air line tube values (also from kens). not hard to do and i can help you out if you need it. I have a tap set to tap the pvc etc etc..
good luck,
david

Sponge filter noise?

Ok, I've got a noise question, not about the air pump, but about the sponge filters themselves in the tank. Whenever I walk into an LFS, with all the sponge filters going, it sounds like a hot tub bubbling.

Granted, that's with a million tanks going on at the same time, while I'd have five or six tanks. But the tanks will be in a room next to my bedroom. So for those of you who run sponge filters, how's the noise?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I run sponges in a lot of the tanks in my fish room. The noise if evident, but not loud enough to bother someone in the next room. I do have tanks in my bedroom and in my daughter's room that both have sponge filters in addition to HOB filters. If you add an airstone inside of the tube in the sponge and valve the flow down, you can get them to be almost silent. Low flow through a sponge is a good thing for bio, but not so good if you are using them for mechanical fitration as well.