• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Angel fish spawned, now what?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey guys
Right after basketball practice I went to check on my new angels and I found some eggs! I was surprised to see that they didnt spawn on the filter intake.
These angels actually survived a pretty bad car accident on their way home so maybe the extra stress plus new water triggered it.
Either way, they spawned and I'm happy about it.
I have bred a plethora (hope Im using that right :D) of Ca/Sa cichlids but never angels so i have a few questions.
As of now they are guarding the babies well, but should I pull them? There are 7 other angels, 5 bn plecos, and a pair of kribs in the tank.
Come to think about it, thats my only question.
Here are some pictures and a video of the parents and eggs:
anglefish2:4:16.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg
The video below might be still uploading depending on how early you see this. If it is, check back later. I think I did a good job with it :)
[YT]xwijFzjylpc&feature[/YT]

Thanks!

anglefish2:4:16.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

decoy50

Members
Pulling the eggs will give you a much better/easier chance of growing out the fry. Angels are very good & protective parents, but that many tankmates are bound to pick off quite a few.

Forester

Members
Agreed. I'd be especially wary of the BNs cause at night they could be a big threat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rasta Fish

Members
What type of angels are those?
I got some from Frank last meeting they layed eggs 3 times since last eggs hatched but tank mates ate them
not sure I want them to raise the babies though

IMG_20160114_211132409.jpg

IMG_20160128_221732863.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thanks
I'm planning on moving the eggs to an empty 20 long and put in some methalyn blue.
What dose do you recommend?
Rastafish, they are wild type angels. I dont think there is a fancy name for them other than P.scalare

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Decided to pull the eggs
Here are the parents right before I pulled the eggs
Angelfish pre egg removal 2:4:16.jpg
Heres a close up on the eggs before I put them in the rearing tank
angelfisheggspremethblue 2:4:16.jpg
Here's the rearing tank, a 20 long, with the methalyn blue
methblueintanktopshot 2:4:16.jpg

methblue 2:4:16.jpg
I put the egg covered leaf in a breeder box in the tank but it kept turning over
leafinbreedbox 2:4:16.jpg
I put it in a seperate cup and it fixed the problem
finaleggsinmethblue 2:4:16.jpg
Here are the parents after I moved the eggs.
angelfishposteggsbeintakenawayyah 2:4:16.jpg
Turns out, the angels werent the only ones who spawned!
baby bn pleco 2:4:16.jpg

Thanks!

Angelfish pre egg removal 2:4:16.jpg

angelfisheggspremethblue 2:4:16.jpg

methblueintanktopshot 2:4:16.jpg

methblue 2:4:16.jpg

leafinbreedbox 2:4:16.jpg

finaleggsinmethblue 2:4:16.jpg

angelfishposteggsbeintakenawayyah 2:4:16.jpg

baby bn pleco 2:4:16.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
Car accident

These angels actually survived a pretty bad car accident on their way home so maybe the extra stress plus new water triggered it.
Angels are terrible drivers. In fact, almost all cichlids are bad drivers. Fishkeepers don't let fish drive.

FishEggs

Nice of them to use a leaf that you could just snip off to move them.
Could use one of them suction cup clips if you have one to keep it from flipping over.

lkelly

Members
Angels are terrible drivers. In fact, almost all cichlids are bad drivers. Fishkeepers don't let fish drive.

The worst is when you can't find your keys and you just know that your Cleithracara maronii probably took off with the car.

Termato

Board of Directors
Niiice! I like your angels.

My angels took off with a my car and crashed it. They came back pregnant but they laid the eggs on the glass. Any suggestions on how to get these eggs off? Or just let them get eventually eaten by the many tank mates?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Gotta love angels

Even when one batch almost completely funguses over..
eggsfungus 2:616.jpg
They spawn again 2 days later!
eggs ona leef 2:616.jpg

eggs ona leef 2:616.jpg

eggsfungus 2:616.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Niiice! I like your angels.

My angels took off with a my car and crashed it. They came back pregnant but they laid the eggs on the glass. Any suggestions on how to get these eggs off? Or just let them get eventually eaten by the many tank mates?

Thank you!
Maybe you could scrape them off gently into a little container or net

Termato

Board of Directors
I have a little breeder box I can put them in. I was just scared scraping them off would harm the eggs. I have a few things I could try scraping them off with. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Maybe you could scrape them off gently into a little container or net