• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Blind Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So, I have a dilemma. I bought an electric blue jack dempsey from a local fish store about 3-4 months ago. He was bought a a juvenile and seemed to be in good shape at the store. His eyes were so small and he looked healthy enough, so I bought him. Turns out, he is almost completely blind. I can't breed him for fear of introducing these genes into the gene pool. I want good quality breeding stock.

I need a good home for him, but craigslist has been slow at best. Some lookers, no buyers. I have him listed at $20. Any suggestions or any takers?

See pics below.

20160113_171314.jpg

20160113_171255.jpg

20160113_171314.jpg

20160113_171255.jpg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Possible recommendations for LFS's in the Bowie, Laurel, Annapolis area that would give me store credit for this guy? Should I even try that with him being blind?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Bought him 3+ months ago. A little late now. I bought him at House of Tropicals. I emailed them but got no reply.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It's a shame, as he has grown into a good looking fish.

How does he interact with the other fish in the tank? It doesn't look like he has been bullied.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
He does okay. He is just kind of there. They almost take pity on him. He was with a female blue gene carrier and he kind of bossed her around for a day or so, and then he went back to just kind of being there. He has a hard time locating things and runs into stuff very easily.

It is a shame that he has turned out so nice, but is so blind. Keep the suggestions coming. Very nice fish. Really wish someone could take him off my hands that would enjoy him.

Forester

Members
He does okay. He is just kind of there. They almost take pity on him. He was with a female blue gene carrier and he kind of bossed her around for a day or so, and then he went back to just kind of being there. He has a hard time locating things and runs into stuff very easily.

It is a shame that he has turned out so nice, but is so blind. Keep the suggestions coming. Very nice fish. Really wish someone could take him off my hands that would enjoy him.

I would for my 75 but I worry with all the current I have going in there he would end up hitting stuff. He's a beautiful fish!

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
He's strong enough, so it may be worth the try. He will find his place in a tank. He currently found a spot between a piece of driftwood and a cave to stick around in my 75. It would be up to you if you want to take on another fish. The only thing that I would ask is if he would be able to find the food you put in. He is good at sniffing out sinking Hikari Gold and frozen bloodworms and spirulina brine shrimp. That would be my concern with a current.

Forester

Members
He's strong enough, so it may be worth the try. He will find his place in a tank. He currently found a spot between a piece of driftwood and a cave to stick around in my 75. It would be up to you if you want to take on another fish. The only thing that I would ask is if he would be able to find the food you put in. He is good at sniffing out sinking Hikari Gold and frozen bloodworms and spirulina brine shrimp. That would be my concern with a current.

All the tank currently has in it is L-134s, super reds, and endlers, so they only get some small pellet, algae wafers, and veggies. I have some larger pellet that I used for EB Acara that might work for him. I worry though cause I have an Fx5 and two powerheads in the tank.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
He's a good swimmer, so I doubt that would affect him. Fish are very good at finding that sweet spot where the water isn't so strong and just humming there all day. Ask a trout when the water is 3-5 ft above where it normally is in a stream how he is doing. I bet he would be just fine. They find the path of least resistance and just hang out. I'd even go so far as to say that if it didn't work out, I'd take him back.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Kill this post. I sold the slow grower with normal sight and the blind fish died suddenly today with no warning. Not sure what caused it. Was swimming and acting normally up to 1 hour before his death. No idea what caused it. No exterior signs. Tank has other Jacks and other types of fish and they are just fine. This was just such a bad batch of fish. I'm glad these genetics did not get passed on.