• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What is the biggest tank you can have on 3rd floor?

bbryan9455

Members
I have 2 small oscars and 7 other cichlids in a 55 Gallon. My Oscar's are growing real fast so I want to upgrade. I live in a 3rd floor. Will my floor handle a 125 gallon tank?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Do you know the direction of the floor joists? Will the tank be on a load bearing wall?

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Howie

Members
Do your due diligence with the operational loads of your floors. I consulted with a building engineer before setting up my 120. Since my subfloors are 8" concrete slab with #5 rebar rated for 300 lbs/sf, I was good to go.

DBLN8

Members
As mentioned before if your tank is perpendicular to the joists you will be fine. A 125 is not going to be a long term solution for 2 Oscars and 7 other cichlids.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I'm assuming its a house...bc concrete floors in an apartment its a different story. Also dep on age of house etc...I know a few homes on the eastern shore have huge kitchen on the top floor with heavy appliances, granite counters, and then the load of ppl and furniture... Rooms etc....
As mentioned by someone earlier placement is key
So against a wall where the joists are will help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bbryan9455

Members
House was built in 1977. How do I find what direction do the floor joists run? :what:

Thai

Members
These guys nailed it on the head with the flooring, I'm on 3rd floor and have a 125, my floors are concrete though so no problem

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Humping up the stairs? I don't understand

Lol!
not to get too graphic but the person/s at the bottom will be holding most if the weight. the person up top will risk hurting their back. So as you work your way to the top it will inevitably look like humping.....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app