• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish I.D Please

Cbaker

Members
Can someone ID this Fish. i'm thinking its a Red Shoulder but i'm not sure. He has a white streak on his head like a blue Ali..

Thanks.

20140227_170057.jpg

Looks like some of the fish sold as apache peacocks. They are hybrids so there are big inconsistencies from fish to fish. Do a quick google search amd you will see what I mean. You will have to look at a lot of pics but you will see some almost identicle to that one.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

No its not kandeense, spilotonus, or maylandi. This fish is a hybrid with fryeri lineage possibly fryeri/red shoulder or some other combination.

Cbaker

Members
Thanks guys, I think Dan is right. "This fish is a hybrid with fryeri lineage possibly fryeri/red shoulder or some other combination" I thought the samething too. Red shoulder mix with something. The good thing is he is not that Dad for my Red shoulder fry. I got him after.

Seems like fryeri hybrids are very very prolific. I assume it has to do with how common they are, their attitudes usually make them one of the dominant fish and in some cases their white blaze is a trait people want to pass on in planned hybid offspring. I have one hybrid and he may be one of my favorite fish. I believe he also has fryeri lineage. The mouth structure is a dead give away for me.

Cbaker

Members
Hi is one of the daminant fish in the tank but not overly agressive. He get excited alot. He would pic up the sand and spit it. He loves the sand. lol

That's intersting because fryeri evolved to be pseudo sifters. They pretend to sift sand to fit in and get a good postion to strike and take out the smaller sand sifting fish as a snack. Some fryeri in aquariums still sift sand but I'm not sure if its an attempt to find food or a learned behavior. I assume your fish is demonstrating a trait from his aulonocara ancestry.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
+1 on what Dan said. I've seen videos in the wild of them head-bobbing over rocks which mimics the mbuna they are stalking. Pretty neat.

IME, you should never keep S. fryeri with peacocks if you are trying to breed. Pound-for-pound, they are more aggressive than most peacock species, will become dominant and will interbreed with the Aulonocara females freely. (Some peacock females also appear similar to their females)