• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Georgia aquarium

spazmattik

Members
I just got back from a nice long road trip to New Orleans a couple weeks ago. We stopped at birmingham zoo in Alabama on the way down. We walked the streets of bourbon, had our fill of beignets at cafe Du monde as well as gumbo. We checked out the insectarium and the aquarium. We went on voodoo and haunted tours that even led us to the grave of one Nicholas Cage...wait, he's still alive right? Yes... and if you think its expensive to live in the DMV area, you should see the cost of NOT living in the heart of New Orleans. Between the two lots he bought for his grave, the payments for upkeep, restoring his soon(ish) to be neighbors tombs, and the cost of the crazy pyramid that will be his forever home it was estimated to be about 3 million....crazy...

Anyways, one of the coolest parts of our trip was on the way back where we stopped in Atlanta to visit the Georgia aquarium to see the whale sharks. It is worth a road trip if you haven't already seen it. They might not have much in the way of cichlids aside from the thousand or so mixed africans or the sa/ca community. But, its all about the whale sharks!

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Georgia Aquarium's been at it for quite awhile. I think one in Japan as well.

The viewing pane at GA Aquarium is the second largest in the world. As big as it is, the main tank is almost the size of a football field!

Simply mind-blowing, especially when you realize that they have to make and maintain their own saltwater (vs. pump from the ocean like the Monterey Aquarium). I was on a behind-the-scenes tour a few years ago and it was just really impressive.

Matt

spazmattik

Members
Georgia Aquarium's been at it for quite awhile. I think one in Japan as well.

The viewing pane at GA Aquarium is the second largest in the world. As big as it is, the main tank is almost the size of a football field!

Simply mind-blowing, especially when you realize that they have to make and maintain their own saltwater (vs. pump from the ocean like the Monterey Aquarium). I was on a behind-the-scenes tour a few years ago and it was just really impressive.

Matt

Didnt you just love the dolphin show? LoL

dogofwar

CCA Members
I don't think I caught the dolphin show. It's been a couple of years since I've been there and not really a fan of captive dolphins...

Matt

Digital

Members
Tennessee aquarium in Chattanooga is also nice. If passing through it is worth the stop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spazmattik

Members
Tennessee aquarium in Chattanooga is also nice. If passing through it is worth the stop.

We were going to stop there also on the way back but by that point we were kind of exhausted and just wanted to get home.

I used to live in Chattanooga, and I'd highly recommend the Tennessee Aquarium! Before it added a saltwater wing in 2008 or thereabouts, it was a freshwater-only aquarium, and the majority of the aquarium features freshwater fish from around the world. That sets it apart from most of the other aquariums in the country.

spazmattik

Members
I can't stand that kind of stuff. Self aware animals to me shouldn't be kept like that. It really bothers me. But not a discussion for the forum I think.

Drew
true. My comment was more about the questionable theatrics. The dolphins themselves, a whole other can of worms

blkmjk

Members
Yeah thinking about how smart those animals are and how close their families are it kills me to think of children or juveniles being ripped away from their families. And I never felt that way until I had kids of my own. Crazy how perspective can change.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think the cheesy dolphin show theatrics are relatively new. Totally pointless, in my perspective.

The dolphin show at the Baltimore Aquarium is entertaining and edifying, mostly without the cheese.

My discussions with Sam L. definitely pushed me over the edge on why keeping dolphins, whales, etc. in captivity is just not a good thing.

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've been to Monterrey, Waikiki, Atlanta and the Shedd and it's really really tough to pick a favorite. Monterrey's open ocean tank is off the hook as well as their kelp forest you see when you first enter. The Shedd has that old feel institutional "Smithsonian-y" feel to it and their flooded Amazon wing is incredible. Atlanta has the monster SW tank with the whale sharks as well as the beluga whales (one of which was "displaying" for us when we were there, but that's another story all together). Waikiki is small, but has the largest collection of coral in the world.

Next on the list for sure. Maria has family in Nashville, so last time we went, I was pumped about hitting it up... and then I realized just what a giant state Tennessee is, lol.

My discussions with Sam L. definitely pushed me over the edge on why keeping dolphins, whales, etc. in captivity is just not a good thing.

I miss that guy. :(