• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

my new setup *all male African*

frkyltn

Members
My thoughts (for whatever they are worth!):

The "rule" with all male tanks is only one male per species and not fish that look similar. I have managed to have two ruby reds in one tank before, but it's always a risk. Your dragon blood is a bad idea (sorry, my opinion) as they tend to be much more aggressive that what is useful in an all male tank. A few nice additions would include an otopharynx lithobates and some stuartgranti peacocks of various types. An albino Taiwan Reef would be nice. The jacobfriberghi peacocks generally are too aggressive IMHO.

I'd also add a few more rocks with more hiding places. I also sometimes put Mopani wood in African tanks and some plants (well, I put plants in all my tanks.) Some vals or anubais would like nice and give you more sight breaks.

I'd not put a frontosa in because, well, it doesn't seem to go for purely aesthetic reasons. I've never had them and don't know if they have the personality for an all male tank. I just like the looks of peacocks and haps together without others. I don't even likes labs, even though they are just fine temperament wise.

Thank you. Its always good to hear others' expeirinces when keeping simular stock. I no longer have to kigoma, Dragon Blood, Treef(lost him in tank set up and transfer) and down to only 1 Ruby Red.
I dont care much for the yellow labs but I wanted some yellow untill my juvie Bicolor, sunshine color up (gettin there)..And as as far as frontosa , I just really like them (planned to have a colony with the kigoma but a 150g fell through. Thats the reason I got him).Traded him for a 4" Burundi Front.
Now that the Kigoma is out, I will add more rocks, just haven't decided to stay with the granite or do large river rocks. The tank seems at ease for the moment with the DB, kigoma and a Ruby out.
(75g current stock all male) (not sure about the Burundi yet)
1x borleyi 5"
1x red shoulder 4.5"
1x ruby red 4.5"
1x molto sulphur head 4.5"
2x bi-color 500 3.5" ,3"(previously labeled sunshine but the lil fella colored up blue with yellow sholders tonight, happy the kigoma is gone)
1x sunshine 3"
2x yellow lab 3", 4"
1x Burundi Frontosa 4"
1x Red Empress 3.5"

Last edited: