• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Texas Holey Rock

NYfan78

Members
Hello all, I have a 55 gallon I am converting to a african cichlid tank. I have the crushed coral but have not been able to find any texas holey rock at any of the local aquarium stores. They are all out and very expensive. So if anyone has some and want to sell it, then shoot me a pm!

Thanks

Scott

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Tropical Fish World just got in a shipment of 200lbs of this rock yesterday. It is 3.99 per pound.

cholile

Members
I posted a few times here and didn't find much. I ended up purchasing on ebay. I waited patiently for choice pieces I liked and got them for pretty cheap and then with combined shipping from the same seller I saved a lot.

In the end, I got the pieces I wanted and I got them for, including shipping, about $2 per pound. But I spent A LOT of time waiting and watching pieces I wanted sell for more than I wanted to pay etc. And time is $$$.

If you want some nice pieces and don't want the hassle of ebay then $4 per lbs is not bad assuming they are nice pieces. If it's just blocks of THR then yea, try to find somewhere, anywhere, to get it for cheap. Nice pieces of THR that you can just drive to a local store and get for $4/lbs is quite fair.

Jumbie

Members
Texas holey rock is really cool but it has always been $$$ for almost as long as I could remember.

NYfan78

Members
So if i decide which i think i am heading that way to go find my own rocks in a stream and clean em real well. so i still need to put egg crate down???

Jumbie

Members
It’s recommended to help disperse the weight of the rocks, but you don’t have to do it. I put some in one of my tanks but it was because I was using a lot of large heavy rocks and stacking them pretty high so I did for a piece of mind. I also have plenty of tanks with out it as well.

cholile

Members
Quite the transition there. From THR ($$$) to your local stream (free) ;)

Might I recommend something in-between, but a lot closer to the local stream in cost? Go to a local landscape store. I have not been here yet, but this one was recommended to me and I hope to get there at some point:

http://thestonestore.com/

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Quite the transition there. From THR ($$$) to your local stream (free) ;)

Might I recommend something in-between, but a lot closer to the local stream in cost? Go to a local landscape store. I have not been here yet, but this one was recommended to me and I hope to get there at some point:

http://thestonestore.com/

If you're looking for Texas holey rock, definitely check out TFW. They always have a very nice selection and great pricing. If you're looking for THR, check them out... Jim is good at getting the best of whatever he's looking for, wheteher it's new world, old world, rainbows or rocks, I always feel comfortable buying from them.

For "lesser" rock/landscapiung stuff, has anyone actually been to this place? Do they cater to the fish keeper? ie: looking for smaller, non squared-off pieces in small quantities? I need a whole lot to fill in a very large tank...

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
If you're looking for Texas holey rock, definitely check out TFW. They always have a very nice selection and great pricing. If you're looking for THR, check them out... Jim is good at getting the best of whatever he's looking for, wheteher it's new world, old world, rainbows or rocks, I always feel comfortable buying from them.

For "lesser" rock/landscapiung stuff, has anyone actually been to this place? Do they cater to the fish keeper? ie: looking for smaller, non squared-off pieces in small quantities? I need a whole lot to fill in a very large tank...
It's not that far aaway very near Arundel Mills. I may call or stop buy today.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
holey rock

pretty expensive per pound! wow. But thanks for the heads up Andrew.

The price was suggested to us by the vendor. He is from Texas and drove store to store delivering wood and rock. We have never sold this rock before. He said most stores sell it between $3-$5 per pound. This is where we based our price off of.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
We (TFW) brought in 200lbs of THR. We hand selected each piece to make sure that they were something we would want in our own tanks, as well as to have a variety of sizes in stock. We also got in some really nice pieces of wood (very branchy).

NYfan78

Members
I have been to the stone store before. Its a landscaping store basicly and dont cater to the fish keepers. On a side note, how many pounds of THR would you all suggest in a 55 gallon tank. I would like to stack it it high in the middle like amountain and on the sides have is cascade down if u get what i mean ^

cholile

Members
Don't know what you mean that it doesn't cater to fish keepers. Do you mean they won't sell in small lots?

I do not recall the name of the place, but there was one in the rockville area that didn't have quite the selection that the stone store appears to have, but I went to this landscaping place in rockville and they had no problem at all with me going to their huge piles of rock and handpicking whatever I wanted.

As for THR, as I said before, for nice pieces that you can just drive to a store and hand select $4/lbs is very fair. I had to put in a lot of time and energy, plus I could not see them up close because I was buying them on ebay, all so I could get them for about $2/lbs.

How much you put in is really up to you. You obviously want it to be stable, you want enough places for fish to hide (assuming mbuna that means a good amount), and you want to have some room left for fish to swim. Beyond that it's all aesthetics, which is, of course, subjective.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
HOT= House of Tropicals (in Glen Burnie). I can't speak to whether or not egg crate is a good idea. I don't see the harm in it.

minifoot77

Members
i put egg crate under all my rocks now a wise chicken once told me "that's a lot of pressure on the glass and i would like to spread it out as much as i can"