• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

good tankmate for shellies?

illpoet

Members
so i got a free 20g from a guy at work and i was cycling it out. i think i want to do some type of shellie, probably occies. i have a bunch of boiled rocks that i set up in a pile on one side of the tank. ok so heres my question, if i'm not super interested in breeding, what rock dwelling fish would do well with small shellies?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've heard that leleupi and cylindricus have been known to kill parents trying to get at fry in the shells. Same thing for larger Julidochromis.

Not sure if this is only a multi thing or if the same goes for the larger shellies.

Is it 20 long or 20 high? If high, then it's probably good for just the shellies. If it was a 30, then I'd say maybe Altolamps (the altos may pick off the fry here and there, but the parents should be safe). I tried keeping my multis in with a small pair of comps in a 20H and the multis beat the hell out of them.

Multis are mean little buggers.

verbal

CCA Members
I think if you want to go with other fish in the tank, dither fish are probably the way to go. According to the article in cichlid-profile, the male will claim roughly 1/3 of the bottom of a 20 gallon high tank. So there is room for other fish to escape, but not a whole lot of room for extra territories(especially if there is more than one male).

You could probably grow out mbuna or peacock fry without incident in the same tank.

YSS

Members
In my 20G, I have gold occies with guppies and a betta. :) Guppies are breeding like guppies. Not my choice, but what my daughter wanted.

illpoet

Members
i thought guppies too. also i have a TON of peacock fry i was thinking of growin a few of them up in there. i've read that occies and brevis (i think) do well with other cichlids. I'm leanin towards a multi only tank with a guppy or three for the top of the water column. That bein said should i take out the rocks and add more shells?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If you're just doing multis and guppies, no need for rocks at all. A floating plant or two may lend some cover for the guppies up top.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I once kept Multies with Leleupi and Marleri in a big community. The Leleupi left them alone but the Marleri took 'em out. Not sure if the Leleupi thing was normal but I removed the Marleri and it seemed to work. Lots of shells and rock work.