• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pelvicachromis signatus F0 SPAWN

zackcrack00

Members
SO I came home from work today and went to check on the signatus. Female was in the cave, male is guarding the 10-12" radius of it. Shined a flashlight in there and saw about 20 eggs in the area where I could see. There are probably more, but I can only see 20-30% of the inside of the cave.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You got these from the Wet Spot group buy a couple of weeks ago?

Weren't you experimenting with leaves in the tank?

Anything special you did to make it encourage them?

Thanks and great job!

Matt

zackcrack00

Members
Matt C, this happened after.

Here is the info about what I've noticed has taken place:

-Temperature - 78F
-Soft water, acidic ph, no water changes two weeks (was going to do one that day, actually. I skipped one because I heard skipping then doing a large one encourages spawning)
-Fed frozen bloodworms the night before
-Tank is moderately planted with anubias, amazon swords, and valisneria
-Low light in early mornings and evenings, high the rest of the time except nighttime
-Male guards while female cares for eggs
-Entrance to coconut hut (Where the eggs are) barricaded up 3/4-7/8 of the way with sand
-Male guarding a pit he has made under a piece of driftwood, too
-Male never enters cave
-When female exits cave, male gets frustrated with her and sends her back in
-Male highly aggressive
-Lots of driftwood in tank, along with peat pellets in the filter
-Female's egg tube has slight amount of discharge
-Eggs yellow in color

I will add more as I notice/recall it.

Thanks again everyone!!!

zackcrack00

Members
The female is spending more and more time out of the cave, the father isn't getting angry with her anymore. This seems odd...

chriscoli

Administrator
Egg color varies widely and can even change with diet, so don't read too much into it. I've even seen some fish (not Pelvicachromis) that lay eggs that look infertile to me, yet they still hatch. I think the big thing to watch is to see if some eggs look different than the others within a given batch. That'll tell you if some are starting to fungus.