• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heard of 'classic oak' aquariums?

Anyone ever heard of these?? I'm looking at one to possibly buy. It's a nice size and looks good (from pics) but is pricey. It's supposedly solid oak as opposed to particle board and is supposed to be very "high end." But I can't find out much about it online . . .

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Sounds like they're referring to the base. There is no particle board on the tank itself, but a lot of "value" stands are made of particle board covered in laminate. They're probably referring to the base being solid wood, which is sturdier, but more expensive. I like nice stands for tanks going in common areas (living room, dining room) but I use cheap stands in bedrooms or fish rooms.

I asked what the brand of the aquarium was. She responded "classic oak" and called the company the mercedes benz of aquariums . . . I thought that was Oceanic! :)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Sounds like they're trying to pass it off as something fancy to raise the price. If it really were the "mercedes benz" of aquariums then you should recognize the name immediately. If its not oceanic, perfecto, or all-glass, then I would leave it alone.

lonlangione

Members
All Glass Aquarium used to have a solid oak stand and canopy that was sold under the color of Classic Oak. They also sold their particle board stands under the same color name to match the frame of the tank. Now they refer to it just as Oak. The Oak Wood stands that AGA made were really nice quality.

In the past few years the three major manufacturers of aquariums have mostly been bought out by other corporations. Central Garden & Pet now owns Oceanic. Marineland owns Perfecto and AGA is now sold under the name of Aqueon and it is owned by, yep you guessed it Central Garden and Pet.

Lonny