• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Your opinion on 55 gallon standard or 40 Breeder

lorne8303

Members
:confused:Since Central American cichlids are generally territorial and and 55 gallon has a base of of 576 square inches and the 40 breeder is 648 square inches, a 40 breeder seems like it would be more appropriate for a medium sized (4-6 inch) CA cichlid than a 55 gallon. Whats your opinion on this? I'm of the opinion that the 40 breeder would be more appropriate. To make things even, assume you only have 1 pair in the tank. How does length compare to width? Is a long narrow tank better than a short wide tank. Something to think about.

By the way, I got 4 of the 40 breeders and Petco.

Last edited:

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I think it depends on the fish in terms of adult size and temperment. While I like to 40b footprint, an extra foot of length can be a plus for breaking line of sight and for space for growing fry. Overall I side with your thoughts. All of my tanks currently running are at least 18" front to back and at least 36" in length.

ddavila06

Members
why not a 75??? same size as the 55 but six inches deeper!
otherwise, the 40 breeder is what i would choose, i don't like the 55 because is so narrow..

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Spawning or display?

That's the basis of the call IMO. Since you can scape vertically as well as horizontally if you're creative, and since more volume is more volume, I'd say it depends on what you intend. I keep cichlids in both and 55s simply provide more space and better viewing. If you're after a spawning situation in a community-type set-up however, a 40 breeder might work better although having an extra half of a square foot of substrate area doesn't give you much of an edge and could very well be of less value than the extra internal distance of a 4 foot tank for the inhabitants. I do know that the two ends of a 55 present natural territories for different pairs/species more so than is afforded by a 40B, at least my Oblongims and Krobei have demarcated theirs in that respect and there' still space in the middle for the Nics and Pike to occupy without encroaching.

Good point about the 75, especially of you break up the space with lots of wood and stone and plants so that there are distinct vertical as well as horizontal territories.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I would have suggested a 75 too, since it is my favorite. I was limiting my opinion to the 40b and 55 as the OP inquired. If you like the 48X18 dimensions, there are two new tanks on the market that have this footprint, but do not stand as tall as the 75 (though I like how tall the 75 is). Both are made by Deep Blue and are labeled "frag tanks" simply because they do not stand tall. These would make excellent tanks for planted set-ups as well as for breeders depending on size.

Hawkman2000

Members
Why not go for a 72 bow front. Slim sides of the 55, depth of the 40b. Thay also don't make the room that their in look smaller. A 46 bow front would be good as well. I love my 46. I'd also go with a reef ready and sump system, makes maintenance ALOT easier.

MonteSS

Members
Sound like he may be going for the $1 per gallon sale at Petco. So 75g is not on sale.

I definitely think length in a cichlid tank is more important than width.

My current 75g has a pair of HRP and Cons with fry at each end. The JD and Mixteco Gold are cool in the middle and all is well.

....Bill

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Q.E.D.

Sound like he may be going for the $1 per gallon sale at Petco. So 75g is not on sale.

I definitely think length in a cichlid tank is more important than width.

My current 75g has a pair of HRP and Cons with fry at each end. The JD and Mixteco Gold are cool in the middle and all is well.

....Bill

Sweet.