• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dan's 300 gallon starfire stingray tank

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Awesome Dan! How's the transition going? Can't wait to see that 300 filled!

Thanks! They acclimated very quickly and the rays are zooming around the tank chasing eachother and playing in the outakes of the return pumps.

The move itself went great. The 120 was moved and the 300 installed in less than half an hour. It took hour to fill it up because my faucet is so slow (water changes on this thing will take all day). The only issue was the pump we got was too strong for the overheads so the wet/dry would completely drain and the pump would start sucking in air so we need to put a shutoff valve on the pump and partially close it so less water comes in. One of the canisters sprung a leak so we need to silicone that as well but other than that, the tank is doing great. The rays acclimated quickly and have allot of swimming space.
here are some pics of the stand before we moved in the tank
300 gallon stand 8:14:15.jpg

Here's the tank before we filled it. For comparison perposes I'm 5' 8".
300 gallon and me 8:14.jpg
300 in place 1 8:14:15.jpg
In the last pic I had just put in the rays. I should've put them in later but they are fine now and swimming around the tank, exploring every corner.

I just dont have any pics of it full yet.
thanks

300 gallon and me 8:14.jpg

300 gallon stand 8:14:15.jpg

300 in place 1 8:14:15.jpg

FishEggs

Looks like you needed one of them water tank trucks that fill swimming pools. :lol:

Hurry up and post some video of them enjoying the new home. :)

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Here are some pics of the tank full, as you can see in one of the pictures, the tank is in a living room full of windows so i cant take pictures during the day since there is so much glare all you can see is me taking the picture.

Here's a full tank shot and a side shot of the 300
300 fts 6:15:15.jpg

300 side view 6:15:15.jpg

As you can probably see in the pic, I have 2 rays and a peacock bass. Specifically:
1 10" male marble motoro stingray (Ray)
1 7" female p14/pearl based hybrid stingray (Roxy)
1 8" cichla pinima "rio jaguaripe" (doesnt have a name)

Here are some close ups of them

ray 6:15:15.jpg
ray and bass 6:15:15.jpg
ray under the wood 6:15:15.jpg
roxy 1 6:15:15.jpg

My mom has a nicer Iphone so the pics she took came out better
IMG_2829.jpg
IMG_2830.jpg
IMG_2831.jpg
IMG_2832.jpg
IMG_2833.jpg
I have some messy fish, so I need a serious filtration system. Currently I have 3 rena xp3s, a 60 gallon wet dry sump with a 2,400 gph pond pump, and a 36w UV sterilizer and fluval fx6 arriving in the mail thursday.
Here's the wet/dry
wet:dry 6:15:15.jpg
The tank has 2 drilled overflows on either end. The water that comes out of the outakes, is crazy! I cant feed the bass floating food anymore because it blows around the while tank until it ends up all getting into the sump. I also have some pothos plants growing out of said overflows.

The living room has never looked better!

full living room view 6:15:15.jpg

Looks like you needed one of them water tank trucks that fill swimming pools. :lol:

Hurry up and post some video of them enjoying the new home. :)
lol, I'll take a vid tonight when its dark out
Awesome set up man

Thanks!

300 fts 6:15:15.jpg

300 side view 6:15:15.jpg

ray 6:15:15.jpg

ray and bass 6:15:15.jpg

ray under the wood 6:15:15.jpg

roxy 1 6:15:15.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

wet:dry 6:15:15.jpg

full living room view 6:15:15.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Dan,

Where did you get buy your 300 from?

I bought it from congressional, I was thinking of getting one used but i'd rather save a little more money and buy a nicer tank with a warranty so if god forbid it leaks, I still have a chance of getting my parents to let me keep a small tank or two:)

AquaStudent

Members
Dan, that tank looks ok. Just ok.

Ahh who am I kidding. That looks amazing! Gorgeous ray too! +1 for the video request.

captmicha

Members
This tank is killer. Wow. SO envious! How the heck did you convince your parents?

How come no sand? Is it easier for the rays to find their food without it? Are you planning on adding anything else (decor, plants, livestock)?