• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My New Frontosas

tparker

Members
Seems to be a blue variant. The question is what generation?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ChuckSon_NB

Members
Seems to be a blue variant. The question is what generation?

Thank you,
Im not sure what you mean by what generation. Questiin, Do I really need more females in the tank to get them to breed again?

tparker

Members
Generation is referring to whether wild or 1st generation (f1) and so on. That usually has a direct relation to their color. Or the intensity of their color (blue). Zaires can range from very deep blue (wild & f1) to faint blue (f2 & beyond) which can be a result of over breeding.

tparker

Members
More females in the tank does greatly increase your chances of breeding. Cool thing is you can usually house many females together w/out much drama If any. I have a group of 2-3 males and 8-9 females housed in 210. Absolutely stunning group. Never any drama.

neut

Members
The larger one is some type of gibberosa, but can't see the mask and facial markings clearly enough to definitely say what type. Smaller one probably is also, but I'm not 100% certain from that photo.

Just two in a tank, even a male and female, can be problematic. They're not a pairing fish and a male can be hard on a single female (or a another male for that matter). Might already be some evidence of that with the rough looking dorsal on the smaller fish. It's sometimes possible to keep just two in a tank, even to have them spawn and produce fry, but it's not a given and ime if it's going to work you need some clever rock scaping to have it work. On that note it looks like you have them divided.

Nice

I have a threesome and when they were in their own tank the larger one would push the other two around :eek:, so I decided to put them in the 75g with my Mbuna's and I noticed a big change no more bullying.:D Also, I noticed that my Fronts come out more also. You have a nice pair welcome to the Front club :D

neut

Members
Won't tell you how to keep them, but with mbuna it's unlikely you'll see them develop their nice, long fins. Some will cite diet differences with fronts and mbuna, but that's not a big deal with the right staple pellet, it's more about behavior.

ChuckSon_NB

Members
Wow you guys really helped me out a lot. I really appreciate it. The male doesn't really pick on the female much but I'd like to see his front come out more. Since this is my favorite type of African cichlid and I can't put them with my central American cichlids I think I'll get a few more females and see how it works.

I feed three types of food to that tank because of the Mbuna, Fronts and Trimac. All seem to be eating fine but I am and do keep an eye on the tank because of the community of fish in it.

Won't tell you how to keep them, but with mbuna it's unlikely you'll see them develop their nice, long fins. Some will cite diet differences with fronts and mbuna, but that's not a big deal with the right staple pellet, it's more about behavior.

Becca

Members
Is anyone else having problems seeing photos in posts? I can't see them, but I bet these guys are lovely and much healthier than any from a store. Good luck selling them!

+1 to having problems seeing photos in posts.

It may be related to the site going down. If they had to rebuild a database, all indexes (references) to those images may have been lost.