• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

backgrounds???

rsretep

Members
Recently acquired a 110 (48x18x31) and in my haste I ignored a background. Now the tank is set up and running with all wires and filters showing. Been looking on internet for backgrounds with minimal success, seems the 31 is a rare size, any ideas???? Thanks in advance

rich_one

Members
Yeah... I had to order mine for my 210 by the foot. It was already filled with water and against the wall. Painting wasn't gonna happen. It was very reasonably priced also.

-Rich

rsretep

Members
Yeah... I had to order mine for my 210 by the foot. It was already filled with water and against the wall. Painting wasn't gonna happen. It was very reasonably priced also.

-Rich

Yes painting is not an option, thought I checked Kens, will look again, the problem is the 31" height, plenty of 24". Thanks for the help

harlowe777

Members
Go to home depot and they have stone tile that is real stone..and stacks and locks..perfectly safe for fish..its 1.5" thich veru real looking..well it is real..lol..it comes 6" by 24"..

rich_one

Members
There's another website that does it, Pete... I'm having a hard time remembering... you know, I think's it's Marine Depot! Check them out... I think you can buy by the foot, and many different heights as well. I remember having that problem, and thinking back, I think I ordered mine from there, and not Ken's.

-Rich

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
If you're looking for a simple laminate background, HOT has several rolls in stock. I'd bet they have a 31" height one, but you might be limited in the 'design.'

JLW

CCA Members
You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a 36" tall one, and then you just cut the bottom, if it bothers you.

Alternatively, get two 24" ones of a solid colour. Run the top piece first, and then the bottom overlapping it -- you don't even have to worry about it being on straight, as you have a LOT of height to hide this. You'll have a horizontal seam, but it'll only be 7" from the bottom of the tank. If you tape it TIGHTLY, it'll be hard to notice.

Obviously, you'll have to do this with a solid colour. ;)

Background

Since you already have fish I would go with paper background. I am a big fan of painting the back but I would only do it if my tank is empty.

Howie

Members
Plastidip is great. Wouldn't recommend with set up tank. Mask off trim and use newspaper to cover glass on front and sides and top of tank. Lay tank flat on the front glass (put towels underneath to avoid breaking or chipping) to avoid dripping down when you spray. Spray in horizontal passes and overlap as you go to blend the product. Let dry for 30 minutes and do another 2-3 coats. Comes out looking great and the best thing is that it is plastic not paint, so it peels right off like a decal if you don't like it or want to change color down the road or want to sell your tank. No more scraping off paint with a razor blade and scratching the glass. Take a wooden toothpick or your fingernail to get it started and just peel! I've done 4 of my tanks in the deep ocean blue color and love the look. You can pick it up at Pep Boys for $6.99 a can.

rsretep

Members
Plastidip is great. Wouldn't recommend with set up tank. Mask off trim and use newspaper to cover glass on front and sides and top of tank. Lay tank flat on the front glass (put towels underneath to avoid breaking or chipping) to avoid dripping down when you spray. Spray in horizontal passes and overlap as you go to blend the product. Let dry for 30 minutes and do another 2-3 coats. Comes out looking great and the best thing is that it is plastic not paint, so it peels right off like a decal if you don't like it or want to change color down the road or want to sell your tank. No more scraping off paint with a razor blade and scratching the glass. Take a wooden toothpick or your fingernail to get it started and just peel! I've done 4 of my tanks in the deep ocean blue color and love the look. You can pick it up at Pep Boys for $6.99 a can.

Thanks for the idea but H O T had the correct size and all is good (for now)

Mwildgruber

Members
if you can fit a spray can behind the tank plasti dip may work its just like paint but just peel right off in one sheet when you want to remove it you wold not have to take a long time to scrape paint off.