• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nile perch

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I definitely wouldn't put them in with Malawi and South American cichlids.

Tony

I wouldn't keep them with Victorian Cichlids, either...

Matt

Pretty sure that they're ok with Vics. So long as the perch isn't small enough to fit in the Vic's mouth.

I could be wrong though...

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I know they are a fish...

Seriously, asking the broadest and most general questions will get you these kind of answers, every time. Asking specific questions, or at least what type of information you're looking for might get you some solid responses.

Quick, tell me everything you know about science! Thanks.

Tony

Ok... seeing as no one is willing to help Cameron, I will try my best.

The Nile perch was brought to the United States on the Mayflower by Christopher Columbus. It served dual purposes both as a food fish as well as a hat for socialites. They quickly spread across the eastern seaboard thanks to their uncanny ability to breath air and travel short distances across land from pond to pond. This fueled the hat business as well as the fur trade up into Canada. At one point, they were hunted due to their practice of building dams.

Some justified the brutal slaughter of this fish by trying to blame the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster on them. No proof was ever uncovered, though convincing arguments can been made on both sides. The general public will likely never know the truth.

In the late 80's, our own Sam Labudde went undercover in an effort to save this majestic creature. He lobbied against haberdashers across America and was successful. In 1989, he finally got his way when the United States government passed the Nile Perch Protection Act. Perch everywhere were ecstatic.

In an effort to make reparations to this species wronged, thousands of perch were relocated to the Lake Vitoria basin where they were allowed to be free. Sadly, they are again fighting for their species survival, trying to evade predatory native cichlids such as Geophagus balzani and the Eureka Jake.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Tony,

Your account is correct except it was Marco Polo and not Christopher Columbus who sailed on the Mayflower.

Matt

The Nile perch was brought to the United States on the Mayflower by Christopher Columbus. It served dual purposes both as a food fish as well as a hat for socialites. They quickly spread across the eastern seaboard thanks to their uncanny ability to breath air and travel short distances across land from pond to pond. This fueled the hat business as well as the fur trade up into Canada. At one point, they were hunted due to their practice of building dams.

Some justified the brutal slaughter of this fish by trying to blame the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster on them. No proof was ever uncovered, though convincing arguments can been made on both sides.

In the late 80's, our own Sam Labudde went undercover in an effort to save this majestic creature. He lobbied against haberdashers across America and was successful. In 1989, he finally got his way when the United States government passed the Nile Perch Protection Act. Perch everywhere were ecstatic.

In an effort to make reparations to this species wronged, thousands of perch were relocated to the Lake Vitoria basin where they were allowed to be free. Sadly, they are again fighting for their species survival, trying to evade predatory native cichlids such as Geophagus balzani and the Eureka Jake.

Tony

Tony,

Your account is correct except it was Marco Polo and not Christopher Columbus who sailed on the Mayflower.

Matt

Dude, Don't mean to call you out in public, but I think you're confused.

Marco Polo is a game you play in the pool at summer camp. :rolleyes:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President

Some justified the brutal slaughter of this fish by trying to blame the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster on them. No proof was ever uncovered, though convincing arguments can been made on both sides. The general public will likely never know the truth.

Just remember to give proper credit to Tony when writing your paper;)

Rasta Fish

Members
:love0030: Seriously!
Oh Professor Most interesting subject.
One should conduct and experiment to see how well they grow with your most prize fishes, that would make for a good paper.

fischfan13

Banned
Dude, Don't mean to call you out in public, but I think you're confused.

Marco Polo is a game you play in the pool at summer camp. :rolleyes:

Tony is right, it was Christopher Columbus.
I just dug out this 16th century picture of Chris presenting Vicki the eye of a Nile Perch that he found while playing Marco Polo on Miami Beach.

christopher-columbus-3.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Bill, Christopher Columbus learned about Nile Perch when he was writing Gremlins.

It turns out that gremlins are actually the larval stage of Nile Perch.

Remember, even in aquaria, never to feed them after midnight!

Tony

Oh yeah, researched it over on MFK and it turns out that Marco Polo is actually Ralph Lauren's second cousin from Newark, New Jersey.

He is a famous haberdasher and invented the game while trying to catch perch in the Hackensack River.