• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I love my job...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
From the auction thread:

Judging by the exalted nature of his response I'd speculate that he's lost in another reverie about the glories of things concrete.

These are pictures I took last week at the new National Fire Lab on the NIST campus in Gaithersburg. It was about an 800 cubic yard pour on an 4 foot thick elevated deck (!). The pour started at 4:00 AM and we were poured out around 9:00 or so. We used two 42 meter concrete pumps which were fed almost continuously by two ready-mix trucks at a time.

The grid on top of the slab was to hold the 1200 galvanized sleeves in place. The tolerance for placement of the sleeves is under 1/32" in any direction (X/Y/Z). Each sleeve weighs approximately 90 pounds. This is in addition to the 1900 tons of wet concrete and 160 tons of rebar (again - all in an elevated deck 10 feet off the 3' thick foundation mat).

Beyond the reinforcing steel, running through the middle of the slab are 27 runs of bonded 6-strand post-tension cable (approximately 2,100 LF of tendon or about 2.5 miles of individual strand). After placement and curing of the concrete, the tendons are individually stressed with a hydraulic ram to carry 257,000 pounds of tension each.

Tis glorious, no?

I love my job. It's like playing with giant Legos.

232323232%7Ffp73436%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3469999258348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73452%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D346999%3A88%3A348nu0mrj

Not the biggest pour I've ever done on one of my jobs, but certainly the most complex.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Pretty sweet Tony. Don't 800 yard pours just make you all excited? We'll have to talk more on Saturday, I don't want to bore the rest of the CCA, but I'm interested on how your formed the deck.

Tony

Thanks guys.

Jon - Fortunately, the deck has 16" walls at 10' OC pretty much all the way across (doorways breaking them up, so the spans weren't too crazy. We used Peri with an extra layer of their wooden stringers. It was still a ton of shoring.... and removing it all out of the 100*+ basement is going to be fun.

Tony

Wait, what's your job again? Where are you in the picture? :)

I'm a senior PM for a concrete construction company. I have an OSHA 30 card, but unfortunately they don't trust me to go play in the mud. :p

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Wait, what's your job again? Where are you in the picture? :)
He's got the easy job. He's watching:rolleyes:. 1/32" of tolerance in placement for anything must be tough, but I'm sure its run of the mill for you. I'm glad my job will never require me to be anywhere at 4AM.

Tony

He's got the easy job. He's watching:rolleyes:. 1/32" of tolerance in placement for anything must be tough, but I'm sure its run of the mill for you. I'm glad my job will never require me to be anywhere at 4AM.

To be honest, 1/32" tolerance is just plain absurd for concrete construction. I blame Matt.

Oh, and while we're at it, I blame Maryland. :p

mscichlid

Founder
I remember those days! It was all a'holes and elbows when the concrete came. Favorite part was when it was all poured and the rabbit is shot through.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE

midnight shift rock. I tried Day work in my profession. I lasted a year too boring way too much traffic. When back to mids 830-630 and started to enjoy my job again.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Yes, I work in Silver Spring. Downtown and the piney branch road area.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

marge618

CCA member
I'm a senior PM for a concrete construction company. I have an OSHA 30 card, but unfortunately they don't trust me to go play in the mud. :p

Huge job in the pictures. Interesting to know that you have such a good time outside of second Saturdays. No wonder you fish room looks so 'concrete':D. Your stands are probably built to last foreverrrr.

longstocking

Members
It's kinda funny... everyone I know that works in commercial concrete construction.... LOVES their job... of course they aren't doing the labor part :lol: Just watching it :lol: I think it helps that none of them have lost their jobs during this economy... kinda weird actually.

1/32 is a little retarded :lol: Reason?

Tony have you gotten a lot of jobs due to the earthquake? Just curious... yes, it was small but I'm sure a lot of the old buildings foundations were damaged etc...

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Tony have you gotten a lot of jobs due to the earthquake? Just curious... yes, it was small but I'm sure a lot of the old buildings foundations were damaged etc...

I work for a General Contractor here in town (yes I watch the craftsmen work as well), and there hasn't been much new work because of the earthquake, but we have seen a lot of warranty calls. One of the buildings I built 9 years ago had some of the joints in the brick veneer open up and cause water leaks. This was the 4th warranty call that the mason had been called on since the earthquake.