• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Tank 2nd floor question

cane

Members
Just set up my 4th tank and put it on the 2nd floor of my townhouse. It is a 125gal tank sitting between the stairwell going up and down. The home was built in 2003 and the floor joist run perpendicular to the tank. My question is do you think a tank this size will be ok here, especially with the stand I am using? The wife is very uncomfortable with it on the second floor so I have not transferred any of my fish from the other tanks.
tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank.jpg

tank2.jpg

The joists will hold the tank. I'd be more concerned with the concentration of the weight on those legs.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't worry. I have my 180 on the first floor of my house on a framed floor. I also have 11 tanks in one room on the 2nd floor of the house.

cane

Members
cichlidaddicted
Yea I was thinking about that. I put 1x2's going front to back below the legs to help support the weight. Should I by or build a better stand that disperses the weight better?

Thanks for you help everyone

TMSB805

Members
You'll be fine.

Oh, impressive filtration setup! Correct me if i'm wrong but is that some type of cooler/thermos?

cane

Members
No cycling to do on this one. Just moved everything from my 55gal to this tank. Also moved over 18 african cichlids. Doing DIY LED lights and covering the stand and thats it. I added 2 foam filters and ordered a 2nd canister filter. Now just looking for a coulple more cichlids to finish her off.

Plan on making the 55 a grow out tank and putting it in the basement with my other smaller tanks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yeah, my only concern would be the point loads of the legs as well. Sounds like a plan to distribute the load a bit on the lumber. That's what I'd do/did for the double stacked tanks in my kitchen.

Looks like that spot was mad especially for a 6 footer!