• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Meeting

Btwcp

CCA Members
Had fun at the meeting today. Got some nice fish. Would of bought more stuff if I had got my stuff from Dan. Great seeing everyone for the first time.

Brian

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
This is the patio pond I set up last year. Looking to set it up again outside soon. It had angels, bolivian rams, platies, and bushynose in it.
Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1429411337676.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
Not really

I could not make the meeting today. I had to work. Can someone please give me a brief recap of what I missed in terms of the 22 inch tuns or pots?
I don't remember any particular insights on that aspect, but maybe if you post again with a more specific question someone can help you. Rachel gave a great, well organized talk describing how she keeps fish in tubs outside in the summer (did she say 3000 gallons worth?). She showed pictures of various tubs, plants, pots, pumping systems, and fish.

She also kept the talk very crisp and focused, which I greatly appreciated.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - really interesting and informative talk yesterday, Rachel!

Has anyone been up to Lilypons garden center near Frederick (it's the same exit as Jon Clark)? Wonder if it's a good local source of plants. Any other recommendations?

We had a 200-300 gallon pond in California and it was a lot of fun. In the summer, Sacramento has cool evenings (upper 50s/lower 60s) and hot days (~90s-100s) with low humidity, so I found African cichlids didn't particularly like the pond...but goldfish and koi thrived (and spawned). I wasn't into Uruguyan fish yet but they would have done great. Same with livebearers.

Vin - It's hard to summarize a 1 hr presentation in a few words. Hopefully Rachel will be presenting this program again for another local or semi-local club and you can make it.

Matt

I don't remember any particular insights on that aspect, but maybe if you post again with a more specific question someone can help you. Rachel gave a great, well organized talk describing how she keeps fish in tubs outside in the summer (did she say 3000 gallons worth?). She showed pictures of various tubs, plants, pots, pumping systems, and fish.

She also kept the talk very crisp and focused, which I greatly appreciated.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Yes - really interesting and informative talk yesterday, Rachel!

Has anyone been up to Lilypons garden center near Frederick (it's the same exit as Jon Clark)? Wonder if it's a good local source of plants.
Matt

I was there 2 weeks ago. They had many plants in stock, except for floating plants. I bought some plants for the pond at my school. They were too large for the 30g beckett pond (home depot), that I have at home.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

msjinkzd

invert junkie
up here at least, most of the pond/container type plants are not available for another 2 weeks. I just check in there frequently and then buy it all (muahahahahhah). one good thing if a few people in club get interested in doing this, all those floaters and submerged plants go absolutely nuts quickly, and there are plenty to share! I routinely give away garbage bags of water hyacinth, water lettuce, parrots feather, and anacharis all of which are perfect for tubs and to use as spawning mops.

If my powerpoint had actual words in it, not just images, I would send it to those interested but not sure how helpful it would be without me talking at the same time. Happy to answer any questions if needed, email is best- msjinkzd@gmail.com or my article on the subject is in Amazonas magazine from July/August of last year and can be purchased through the reef2rainforest website.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Local Sources for Outdoor Fishkeeping

I was there 2 weeks ago. They had many plants in stock, except for floating plants. I bought some plants for the pond at my school. They were too large for the 30g beckett pond (home depot), that I have at home.
I know Behnke's in Beltsville has some pond stuff, although I don't think they have a lot.

Any other ideas on local sources of pond equipment?