• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Demasoni won't eat

cmcpart0422

Members
I have a group of them and for some reason thay are spitting out all the food I try to give them. I have tried two types of new life spectrum and two different types of flakes. All they do is suck it in, then chew for a second, then they spit it out. Anyone know what could be causing this?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
have you tried brine shrimp, bloodworms, or simply dont feed them 1-2 days. how long have you had them? are they stressed? like sonny asked it may be the adjustment to a new food also.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have seen some do that but you go back 5 minutes later and the pellets are gone. Is the entire group or just a couple of them. I have seen holding females do that before also

cmcpart0422

Members
I have only had them for about 3 weeks now. I don't know what they were eating before. They are interested in food they just seem not to want to swallow the stuff down. As for the water the temp is at 75 and ill get the rest in a little bit.

Sonny Disposition

So your water is probably ok. They're probably not sick. I've kept a lot of centrarchids in the past. The don't have the teeth/jaw strength of Malawi cichlids. They'd take pellets, but could only eat them if you soaked them in water for a half hour or so.

Maybe the demasoni would take the pellets if you soaked them first.

ph= 7.8
Ammonia=0ppm
nitrite=3ppm
nitrate=20ppm

cmcpart0422

Members
funny you say that. I tried to soak them for a while and they picked at them but it seemed like they might just be to big for them so i tried NLS small fish formula and they seem to be taking that a lot better. Maybe they just need to grow a little bit more.