• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hybrids

Tooz100

Members
Well my un identified female peacock has released a load of fry about a month or so ago and I'm pretty much convinced that she mated with my hansbaenschi , am i going to end up with some hybrids ? The fry look healthy and have some nice vertical stripes on them , black fins and a nice black stripe through the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tooz100

Members
Just been looking at pictures of female hansbaenschi red shoulder and i think she could well be one , i may have found out what she is ! I suppose I'll only know when the fry get colour ?

dogofwar

CCA Members
If you keep multiple kinds of peacocks (mbuna, haps, etc.) together, then it's best to assume that any fry that come out of the tank are hybrids or at least suspect pending grow out...

Matt

Acpape0

Members
A hybrid is not a bad thing ... It is just a hybrid.... I love then but some don't ... I care more about a fishes looks than it's pedigree .... If you do sell them just label as hybrid , that is all

Tooz100

Members
I get a bit annoyed by the hybrid animosity , i was always told to belive they were nasty and ruined the hobby!!
If two species met in the wild (which is completely feasible as the lakes are huge and there are no cichlid police officers patrolling the borders) then it would be classed as a new species !
So why the snobbery involved with only pure breds ????

Lake Malawi is almost 400 miles long. Fish stay in the niche, a cave soecies doesn't just decide to cross many miles of open water for no reason. The geography of lake Malawi does an amazing job of keeping fish in one place. Can a fish travel throughout the lake.........yes its possible but not probable. is there a problem with hybridization in the lake.....no. as for me, I like buying a fish small knowing it wilk turn out to be what I bought and that its fry will also. How fun would it be if there were no pure blooded africans? No options just mbuna or peacock

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rich_one

Members
Here we go. I agree with Adam. Keep what you like. The only responsibility you have is to not distribute a hybrid in the hobby as something other than what it is. So long as you let anyone who might get your fish from that tank know it may be a hybrid, as far as I'm concerned, you are doing what you need to do. Everyone in this hobby is in it for their own personal reasons. Keep what you like. Just don't misrepresent what you have. Hope you post pics when they color up!

-Rich

tparker

Members
Yeah dont misrepresent what you have. Besides we should leave that to most of the vendors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Raven20

Members
I love how some people think they're experts....keep the fish, let them grow out. you may have some beautiful fish here. do what you want with them, their YOUR fish...

chriscoli

Administrator
CCA auction rules require hybrids to be labeled as such. If you choose to sell to the forum members at club meetings, please keep this in mind.