• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

sponge filters

Tangcollector

Staff member
So as I have expanded. so has my electric bill. I was thinking of getting one large air pump and running multiple sponge filters. I would shut down some of the power filters. How many people are running tanks, large or small on only sponge filters. I am not in a situation where I can run one system but I can pipe through air to most of the tanks. Any input?

dogofwar

CCA Members
One of the topics of my new fishroom talk :)

I run almost exclusively air-powered filters: usually a sponge and a box in each tank. I run a bunch of air through the box to achieve lots of mechanical filtration and less air through the sponge so that it's primarily bio (vs. acting as a mechanical filter).

Matt

Termato

Board of Directors
Yea, in Christine's and Tony's videos that Joey posted I noticed the same thing. Seems to be the cheapest way to properly filter a tank. :)

I'm slowly switching over as well.

What are the best box filters to use? And i see lots of the square diy spone filters being used. I want to make some but haven't found a good source for a big sheet or block of the correct material .

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have to say that I really prefer the Poret sponge filters vs. the traditional cylinder ones (although I have a bunch of both). Poret sheets are also a great way to filter a tank with just air.

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
I just use the Lee's economy box filters. The larger Lustar ones have little stands that fall off and leak over time. I add some gravel to the bottom of boxes to provide some weight and bio capacity...and use fluff from Michael's Crafts as media (and try to change it weekly or so).

Matt

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I use power filters on some tanks but all have sponges.
Some are hydros. Some are Poret. Poret is exspensive but will last. I found
An old thread and pulled it up. I could not just link. Using my phone.

Vinh2o

Members
On my 40 Breeders I have been using an Aqua Clear 70, 1 Pro Series Hydro Sponge and Large Lees Box Filter. I have found that you can use just the Pro Hydro Sponge and box Filter on the Fry & Juvi grow out tanks. For breeding groups I need to add the Aqua Clear 70 or 110.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vinh2o

Members
I would love to hear suggestions for the most efficient yet effective way to filter 40 breeders. With either breeding groups or fry/Juvi grow outs. I sometimes can have close to 100 small Juvi's growing out. Suggestions appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reed

Very Fishe
For my 40b that are not on my rack I use the matten filter with 2 lift tubes. The matten filter and lifters cost $60 and work great even with a heavily stocked tank of full grown cichlids. Definitely worth the price

Veryfishe.com

chriscoli

Administrator
Great info but does anyone use them exclusively on larger tanks, 75,90,125?

I've tried to use them on my larger tanks but found that I needed more flow (deeper tanks need more air pressure to make the bubbles go that deep) so I ran them with power heads. Then I realized that I was just not good at maintaining them in larger tanks if they were to clog. They might be great if you are more disciplined than me.

so for the big tanks, I go with dump filters over the tank, and use poret foam (usually scraps leftover from other projects) in the filter there.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I use Poret in dump filters on larger tanks...but sponge and box otherwise.

I currently have a 75g with nothing but a large Poret sponge filter and a large box with a bunch of air. I was going to add a Dump filter (there's actually one sitting over it / serving as part of the lid) but didn't need to.

As an aside, you can use a remarkably small pump or powerhead for a dump filter because you're not working against much head pressure and you don't need much flow. I have a 225 gph quick filter on the dump filter for a 55g with a bunch of large balzanii, pikes and acaras in it (along with a sponge and a box).

Matt
I've tried to use them on my larger tanks but found that I needed more flow (deeper tanks need more air pressure to make the bubbles go that deep) so I ran them with power heads. Then I realized that I was just not good at maintaining them in larger tanks if they were to clog. They might be great if you are more disciplined than me.

so for the big tanks, I go with dump filters over the tank, and use poret foam (usually scraps leftover from other projects) in the filter there.

Aqua410

Members
I use Poret in dump filters on larger tanks...but sponge and box otherwise.

I currently have a 75g with nothing but a large Poret sponge filter and a large box with a bunch of air. I was going to add a Dump filter (there's actually one sitting over it / serving as part of the lid) but didn't need to.

As an aside, you can use a remarkably small pump or powerhead for a dump filter because you're not working against much head pressure and you don't need much flow. I have a 225 gph quick filter on the dump filter for a 55g with a bunch of large balzanii, pikes and acaras in it (along with a sponge and a box).

Matt

What kind of pikes are in there sorry to derail

Tangcollector

Staff member
All of my lights are LED except for one. I may be able to reduce the heaters but everything is doing so well I really hate to change the temp. right now I am running everything around 778-78 degrees. but I will research and see who has experience running this stuff at a colder temp.

Becca

Members
I unplug heaters in the summer, but we also keep our house 72 or warmer all summer long.

I am running my small fish room all on one air pump, though I still have power filters on tanks in the main house. I haven't experienced any problems with this at all. The biggest issue is making sure your pump is big enough to handle the filters. I put 2 in every tank, 3 in some of the larger/more crowded ones.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I am running
21 power filters.
30 lights of which only 3 are LED. Mostly 4foot lights
6 heaters in winter
1 space heater in winter
1 small air pump on 150 in other room
1 large linier piston pump from jehmco
1 small light in ceiling that stays on 24/7
1 large exhaust fan on timer