• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sponge filters....

tremper

Members
Never used them but am sick to death of HOB and canister filers. I have 2 39 gallon tanks I'd like to run off of one air pump with sponge filters.

These would be lightly stocked, 3-5 or so ancistrus in each in addition to using them as grow out tanks for fry?

Any input, advice or recommendations?

Becca

Members
Pick a size rated for your tank and then put two in each tank. Get a decent air pump and extra airline tubing and air stones if you choose to use them.

I also like to have some of the flow-reducing valves to add to the airline so I can reduce air if I need the water to be a little calmer.

Lately I've been pairing a sponge with a box full of floss in most of my fish room tanks and it seems to be keeping down a lot of the silt and debris I had before.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
+1 to the addition of an old school box filter. I run mine with high air flow and they do a decent job filtering out debris. They need to be changed often, but keeps most of the gunk out of the sponges.