• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish killer

captmicha

Members
Now that I've got your attention...

A family member keeps getting fish for his 29 gallon aquarium. Often over stocking it with too many, and too large species, and also never quarantines from box store purchases. Sometimes that's not the case anymore, after a bunch have died off. It becomes okay in stocking, but that never lasts. He keeps on getting more.

The primary issue is that he's killing them through sheer neglect. He keeps aquarium gravel in the bottom of the tank and he never siphons it. He just skims water off the top of the tank every so often. Not even frequently. So mulm and missed food is just rotting and poisoning the fish. I've explained this to him a million times over, kindly, patiently, angrily, you name it. I can't get through to him.

I put my own filter on his tank against his wishes. Yes, I forced it on his tank. It's over rated for his aquarium.

I'm really tired of the unnecessary suffering and death. It's just awful.

I would clean it myself when he's at work, but my health problems are so bad now that I'm rehoming all of my own fish because I can't keep up with even my own.

He's been at this for quite a while. But I don't remember his tank maintenance ever being quite this bad. I know this is TMI, but his mind isn't quite what it used to be... He's not very reasonable.

Any ideas? Or is this just an impossible situation that I can't do anything about?

I really don't know why he bothers with getting more fish. I really don't. You'd think one of those fake fish aquariums would be more up his alley in terms of care.

zackcrack00

Members
Now that I've got your attention...

A family member keeps getting fish for his 29 gallon aquarium. Often over stocking it with too many, and too large species, and also never quarantines from box store purchases. Sometimes that's not the case anymore, after a bunch have died off. It becomes okay in stocking, but that never lasts. He keeps on getting more.

The primary issue is that he's killing them through sheer neglect. He keeps aquarium gravel in the bottom of the tank and he never siphons it. He just skims water off the top of the tank every so often. Not even frequently. So mulm and missed food is just rotting and poisoning the fish. I've explained this to him a million times over, kindly, patiently, angrily, you name it. I can't get through to him.

I put my own filter on his tank against his wishes. Yes, I forced it on his tank. It's over rated for his aquarium.

I'm really tired of the unnecessary suffering and death. It's just awful.

I would clean it myself when he's at work, but my health problems are so bad now that I'm rehoming all of my own fish because I can't keep up with even my own.

He's been at this for quite a while. But I don't remember his tank maintenance ever being quite this bad. I know this is TMI, but his mind isn't quite what it used to be... He's not very reasonable.

Any ideas? Or is this just an impossible situation that I can't do anything about?

I really don't know why he bothers with getting more fish. I really don't. You'd think one of those fake fish aquariums would be more up his alley in terms of care.

My mom got a 5-gallon tank and won't let me touch it. She puts angelfish and things in it, even when I explain to her that they will outgrow the tank. It's the same situation, and I'm not allowed to do anything about it. I'm cleaning it when she's not home, but that's the most I can do.

Try getting him plans for his tank to suck up the nitrates. Marimo/moss balls are great at it, they're just a little overpriced. Anything just to help the aquarium a little bit is better than it sounds now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Sounds to me like the tank needs to spring a slow leak about 1/3 of the way down the seam, nothing that'll kill the fish, just something that makes it not worth keeping anymore...

captmicha

Members
You have no idea how often that's actually happened without my assistance. He fixes it every time with the wrong silicone. And they're stuck in a few inches deep water for days while it cures.

And yeah, I have begged him to use one of my larger tanks. Doesn't want it. He wants his tank of death.

I've put plants in before but they never last. I'm not even sure why. He uses one of those dinky bar lights not rated for anything. Besides that, I can't figure it out. Even Java moss didn't stick around.

captmicha

Members
He's VERY insistent on killing fish. I could go on and on about how I just don't understand it, but yeah.. I'll spare you guys that.

Jt731

Members
Everytme you find dead fish just go some where and take an absolutely horrible disgusting crap somewhere. Floors, his bed, etc...

If he mentions it just let him know that you figure since it's good enough for his pets....

Maybe he gets the point, maybe he stops inviting you over. Either way, seems to be a better situation for you

lkelly

Members
Were you forced to spend most of your formative years living in a small asbestos lined coat closet sleeping next to your three siblings?

captmicha

Members
I was lucky. Nope. Maybe I should just pull his surviving fish one by one so he loses track and replace them with fake fish... Still don't think he'll learn though. And dunno who's going to take common plecos and similar.

FishEggs

He's just getting the wrong kind of fish. Get him some gold fish. Pepperidge Farm has many different color variations and they all get along together so you can have more than one kind in the same tank.

Jt731

Members
Just make sure it's gold fish and not Swedish fish. Once they overbred in an attempt to get more colors they resorted to injecting color and they don't live as long

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
maybe while he's at work, sneak into his house and steal the tank and stand.
He's just getting the wrong kind of fish. Get him some gold fish. Pepperidge Farm has many different color variations and they all get along together so you can have more than one kind in the same tank.
Lol, that has to be one of the funniest things I've read on cca yet.