• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dog or Cat or just YUK?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I suspect I can't start a poll or at least do not know how. The poll would be cat or dog? Polls are not fun anyway. The comments are the good part.

My son just returned from South Korea. He loved the food. It turns out that there are some restaurants that serve a wide variety of dishes just like here. He tells me that this is not the norm. There will be a cow, a pig, or a fish in front of most eateries indicating that is what they serve. If there is a cow out front you cannot order pork or seafood. Most have one but not the others.

I have always contended that my favorite cat was the cat on a Korean menu. I really like cats (dead). It turns out that I was wrong about the culinary leanings of Koreans. My son tells me that in addition to cows, pigs, and seafood in front of these eateries there were dogs. None of the restaurants he went to ever served dog and it appeared that any place that served dog was pretty much exclusively dog. Much to my chagrin, there was no cat. I asked if he tried dog. His negative answer was emphatic. The kid is squemish.

If I was there I must admit that I would have tried dog. My problem is this: would you expect German Shepherd to taste the same as Poodle or do all breeds of dog taste the same?

BIG question is would you eat dog or would you eat cat or would you be disgusted to try either. Personally, I would try both but cats would be better off food.

And now off to France for some horse - yum.

George

longstocking

Members
Ok when I was in Asia.... I saw dogs mostly as well.

I went all through out China, Hong Kong and Japan... spent a few months out there...

I will admit.. I didn't try it. Of course this was 1985.... a bit different back then. It's when China first opened their doors to tourism.

If I was to go back... I would probably try it since I'm older now and things have changed over there.

Sonny Disposition

I eat meat, but I'm conflicted about it. I met a calf once. One of the nicest, sweetest creatures I've ever come across. Because of that memory--that animal looking me in the eye, looking to make a connection, the way my dog does--I eat far less beef than I ever used to. (Also, the possibility of variant Creutzfeldt Jacob disease, which is probably remote, but, since we've cut back on our testing program, who knows?)

That's not to say that I don't fall off the wagon. If Richard has some nice charcoal grilled hamburgers at the cookout, I'll probably snag one or two. But on some level, I'll feel bad about it.

My dog is one of the absolute best friends of I've had. Likewise, when I was a teenager, I brought home an alley cat who grew up into a big fat orange cat who followed me around every where.

If I tried, dog or cat, and I liked it, I'd have the same issues that I now have about eating beef. Maybe I'd want more. But in the back of my mind would always be the soulfull eyes of two of the best friends I've ever had, looking me straight in the eye.

I don't even want to know what dog or cat tastes like.

DonkeyFish

Members
I'm with Bob. I don't know that I consider myself an activist by any means, and don't get me wrong, I do love a good steak... but I don't want to "know" my food. The gray area inbetween cute cow in the field and yummy steak on my plate is best left undefined for me. I know they are the same thing, BUT don't need to associate the two. I think with dog or cat "steak" I would have a much harder time disassociating. I know people do it, and I'm not gonna go start a protest or anything, but I definitely don't need to think about it :)

I also don't eat seafood...for childhood trauma reasons mostly. Long story about a pair of lobsters my kid sis and I got to "pick out" at the grocery store as our new "pets".... take a wild guess where the story goes... LOL. Gotta love dad stories like that!

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
From what I understand the dog raised for food in Asia is a certain species and only that species is sold as food.

tash

Members
I love polls, they are fun. :p :)

My husband lived in Korea for a while. He said that they have a special breed of dogs raised for food (breed, not species). Like how we have dairy cows and beef cows, egg chickens meat chickens pet chickens, etc. I think he said they were white.

Lively

Members
I respect Bob's view of the food chain - but I grew up knowing exactly where my food comes from. Strangely enough - this was taught to me by my dad who was born and raised in London and we lived in suburbia. My sister and i always wanted rabbits, dad never said, no. He just said, "You get a rabbit and we'll be eating frickassee for dinner once it's big enough." As it happens, I like rabbit as a meat - I figured if he was serious (never really was sure if he was) I'd regret it, either way.

Given the opportunity, I'd eat dog or cat. After all, I do eat fish. I wouldn't eat my fish... lol

toddnbecka

Members
Dog, cat, fish, whatever. As long as it wasn't my pet I wouldn't feel bad about it. I'd likely even eat aquarium fish if they were big enough and wouldn't taste like fish food.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd try either although I've heard that both are an acquired taste.

Probably need to be cooked / prepared correctly :)

I wonder if H-mart has dog? Is it legal in the US?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
you will eat anything prepared right and you dont know what it is but smells as good as all et out. besides you all got that little chicken for easter as a kid and you still eat chicken dont you. i grew up in the country so i understood where food came from. i had a pet pig once and came home one spring day and he was missing. that pig was my pet but he was also half a freezer of meat that helped feed us too. did i cry for my pet yes i did but i also enjoyed that ham, sausage, pork chops, etc.etc.

fischfan13

Banned
Ok, I have to break my silence...
"Honey, take the Schnauzer out of the freezer so we can have it for dinner".
Nope, not happening over here.
Not even a thought.
Call me "close-minded" ( I am not ), but a dog on the plate with "the fixins" is not on my agenda....EVER!

Properly served?
What constitutes a "properly served" canine?
Is there a bed of lettuce with dog biscuits laid over it?

Lets see...
Cows do not eat their own bowel movements, but some dogs do.
I'll take the Rib-eye before I ever try some A-1 steak Sauce on a Rottweiler hind quarters.

Oh yeah, just my 2 cents.

kbeaudean

Members
Thanks Fishfan13 for breaking your silence!!!!! I would never dream of tasting dog or cat nor do I want to. Our dog use to be a member of the family but has passed away. Your 2 cents is worth a million to me!!

I would eat both cat and dog. I have tried shark, whale, sea turtle eggs, iguana, snake, tarantulas, armadillo, monkey (in Venezuela), bambi, porcupine (nasty!), squirrel, racoon, and others that don't come to mind at the moment. SO I think cat or dog would not be a problem for me, BUT it needs to be cooked right. If it dont kill me I will eat it;)

fischfan13

Banned
SO I think cat or dog would not be a problem for me, BUT it needs to be cooked right. If it dont kill me I will eat it;)

Define "cooked right".
Is there a Culinary Edition from the Culinary Institute of America that I missed?
Also, define NOT "cooked right".

How are you making that Miniature Poodle more delectable?
Worcestshire Sauce for Dogs?