• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank Light

Laxison

Members
Hey guys,
I just went out yesterday to get a new light from my 20 gal long. It's a 20 watt flourescent bulb from Aqua Flora Plus/Quantum Aquatics. It's a nice bulb and the one that the shop guy recommended for me. Since it's flourescent it flickers a bit and came with a note saying that since it's new and has all of this nice stuff in it that it'd flicker for a bit before everything "got into place" (yeah, right, just turn on!). OK, so I can deal with some "flickering of the light" until it really kicks in to full blast. They said that it usually takes 15 minutes for it to truly shine and then the time shortens as the light is used more. I came home today, though, to see that the tank was unlit. After cursing to myself for not turning the lights on this morning when I woke up I realized that the switch was on the "on" position; the bulb was just not working. I flicked the switch, took the top off and turned it over to inspect and the light flickered to life. "OK, more flickering, that's fine." I flip the lid to put it back ontop of the tank and the light goes out again. A few taps and it starts flickering again. Am I getting too impatient with this "flickering" business (this isn't the first flourescent bulb I have had but it's the first with this 'warning'), should I wait a few days for the bulb to truly kick in, or should I just say "forget it" and take the bulb back to the shop for a replacement?

Cristy

Members
Take it back. You shouldn't have to put up with a bulb that flickers, neither should your poor fish. It's probably the wrong wattage for your fixture. Aren't those 2' bulbs supposed to be 18 watts?

maddog10

Members
Sounds like it might not be the bulb. It could be the starter/ballast in the fixture. Or it could be the bulb :D

Laxison

Members
Well guys, thanks for the good advice! I went out and got another light to replace the other one and low and behold, it doesn't work. I got the identical light so it could have been this batch of bulbs but I was leaniong more to the light strip itself just being shot (albeit pretty new; less than two years old. Well, "new" for me and I understand that after awhile, these things just go).

Anyway, I went back to the store and was going to return the bulb but thought, "Ya know, it has to be the strip. I'm just going to get a new one." And I did! I actually got a really nice new one that was recommended to me by the store worker after I explained my ordeal. He suggested a T-5 Series Double Linear Strip, 36 or 38 watt. Since the wattage had a significant increase I decided that now was as good a time to get plants for this tank. I picked up some, oh boy, I don't remember what! Amazon swords and something else. Rotila maybe? The shop guy suggested these since they ought to stand up to the couple of cichlids I have in this tank.

Well, the new light looks fantastic and the plants are beautiful! So although the many trips to the shop took some time (although going to the fish store is also a joy!) it ended up being a good experience. My tank looks better than ever! Yay! :D