• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Repashy Shelf Life Unrefrigerated

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I made a new batch of Repashy Meat Pie to feed my fry and grow outs on Sunday evening. I put it in the fridge and let it set up until last night. I fed the fry last night around 7:00 PM and accidentally left the container, still almost full, on top of one of my tanks overnight. I discovered the container this evening when feeding.

I know it is supposed to be refrigerated after you make it. I opened the container and it looks fine and smells, well, it smells like Meat Pie. Not the best smell in the world but not out of the ordinary when it comes to fish food.

My question is, should I throw out the container because I left it out for 24 hours or will it be okay? I really love the stuff for feeding smaller fish. They absolutely tear it up. I just don't want to throw it away unless necessary.

verbal

CCA Members
If you feel uncomfortable you can heat it up and let it set again. That should kill any bacteria that have accumulated.

chriscoli

Administrator
Reheating it MAY kill bacteria in their vegetative state (not spores) if you get it hot enough for long enough as well as any heat sensitive toxins that they may have produced. But it will not destroy any heat stable toxins or remove any microbial waste products that may have accumulated. This is, of course, assuming that fish are even susceptible to these toxins.

That being said, I've kept my prepared repashy past it's date (in the fridge) and didn't see any funk.

I'd prefer to see what the folks that know the product well have to say about it. I'm not familiar with any preservatives that may be in it. And before you say, eeeew about preservatives, remember that a lot of our common vitamins also act as preservatives (i.e. vit C and E).