• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Film in divided tank

aprill85

Members
I just recently made a divider for my tank because my Cichlids were tearing each others fins up. Now, half of my tank has a film (pics 1&2) that keeps appearing and seems to keep lots of tiny air bubbles in the tank (pic 3, looks fuzzy but its air in the water). I take the film off the top and it reappears in about a week. My fish aren't bothered by it, but I would like to get rid of it for good. Any suggestions, or, does anyone know what is causing this?

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1407770891317.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407770971716.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407771028839.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Hi April, I've seen this on two of my tanks as well.

As long as you've got something disturbing the water surface....and it looks like you do, then you're probably getting enough gas exchange, but keep an eye on your fish to see if they are gasping for more oxygen. You might try adding an airstone to disrupt the surface of the tank a little more.

aprill85

Members
Thanks Chris!
I have an air stone on the other half of my tank but I can add a small one on this side as well. I'm glad that the film is not a precursor to ick or something else. I lost 4 Cichlids to ick and don't want that again. Thanks again! I'm glad I found this forum...I'm only 5 mos into African Cichlids but I love them, what intelligent fish.

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
April,
As Chris suggested, you need to disrupt the surface on both sides of the divider. Spraying hydrogen peroxide on the film will remove it, but it will return if the cause is left untreated.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
A bubbler should fix the problem. Like Christine and Andrew said, you need something to disrupt the water to clear it out and a bubbler is a cheap, easy, and effective fix. This happens allot in my tanks in fry nets so I just swirl my finger around in the net and it clears up.
Good luck

aprill85

Members
So is there a way I can find the source of the film? I didn't have it until a couple weeks ago, but nothing has changed other than the basic water change. I have a bubbler on one side (the side with no film) and the filter on the other filmy side , so the water has lots going on. I just find it odd that its only on one side.

Aprill :)

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have found the film to be either from lack of surface agitation or from a build up of organic material in the water (usually a dead fish somewhere).

aprill85

Members
Hmmm, only 2 fish in the tank so I would notice if one was missing....I bought some CaribSea eco sand for Cichlid tanks and plan on thoroughly cleaning and redoing my tank today...I hope this fixes the issue, I hate seeing my girl swim under what looks like a oil spill.

Aprill :)