• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: 8" Male Rio Mag Umbee

rich_one

Members
Preparing to go in a bold new direction (for me, anyway). He is a very good looking guy. Descendent of The General, acquired from Ira in NYC. Bought as a pair, but he killed the female. NO PICS. Why? Because I'm bad at taking them, and it wouldn't do him justice. You can come by and see him, and buy if you like what you see. $75 takes him, $10 off for club member.

-Rich

blkmjk

Members
Wow that was fast I was going to say good luck guess u don't need it?. But I thought he was a mag-x umbee. Not from the General. He is your fish just asking ?

Drew

rich_one

Members
Sold!

I'm not quite as well versed in this as you are, buddy... he is a rio mag, and according to Ira, a descendent of the General. So just going by Ira's word. I've always gone by what Ira tells me, as he has always been trustworthy to me, but that said, I'd clearly have to defer to you, bruh!

-Rich

rich_one

Members
By the way, it was great meeting you, Matt! Thanks, and I hope you enjoy him as much as I did. Time for me to move on to new and different adventures!

-Rich

By the way, it was great meeting you, Matt! Thanks, and I hope you enjoy him as much as I did. Time for me to move on to new and different adventures!

-Rich

Likewise, Rich. Beautiful tanks and fish in your collection. That 210 setup is awesome!

Sent from my C6916 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

blkmjk

Members
Sold!

I'm not quite as well versed in this as you are, buddy... he is a rio mag, and according to Ira, a descendent of the General. So just going by Ira's word. I've always gone by what Ira tells me, as he has always been trustworthy to me, but that said, I'd clearly have to defer to you, bruh!

-Rich

I was going off of a conversation we had. Maybe I miss understood what you said. He is your fish not mine. If Ira said he is general line then he is. I can't dispute that.

Drew

rich_one

Members
I was going off of a conversation we had. Maybe I miss understood what you said. He is your fish not mine. If Ira said he is general line then he is. I can't dispute that.

Drew

Gotcha... it is fully possible, and with me at times, maybe even likely, that I fumbled terms while speaking with you previously. If I said something other than what I represented here, my apologies for any confusion, buddy!
For one thing, I thought a rio mag and a mag x were the same thing! LOL...
-Rich

blkmjk

Members
They are and are not really. The term Rio Mag is used quite universally. The Rio Magdalena River system is huge a river in Colombia. A Rio mag could be from anywhere associated with that river system. The Magnum-X umbee has a wild lake Guatape male father formally location-x and a wild Rio Mag female mother there are a few different lines of that cross if you will floating in the hobby I currently have one from umbeeking and his cross of the two. If location purity is important to the keeper a magnum-x is not the fish for you. But I personally never put too much into where the fish came from location wise as long as they are the same species. Here is a crappy picture of my Magnum-X. uploadfromtaptalk1398640183840.jpg

Drew

uploadfromtaptalk1398640183840.jpg

rich_one

Members
Man, Drew, nice fish! And thanks for the explanation! I think I will definitely be more careful with using the terms "rio mag" and "mag x" as synonymously as I have been. The continuous learning is one of the great things about this hobby! Thanks again, man!

-Rich

Like Rich, I appreciate the quick and informative breakdown. Umbees are beautiful, all of them, in my opinion.

Sent from my C6916 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rich_one

Members
I just wanted to add what I hope is appropriate closure for this, given how badly I mucked it up in the first place. First and foremost, I whiffed on the sex of this fish, and my apologies for that. I had thought all of this time that my male killed my female, but it was the other way around. I didn't pay close enough attention, and I will willingly wear the "moron" hat for that. That said, I reached back out to Ira regarding the province of both fish, and Ira's response was as follows:

"Your pair is from the wild location X male that Chris sold to FWP (freshwaterpredators, aka Jason), who paired it with a female from the General."

So the pair I had were grandchildren of the General, and the girl Matt has is his granddaughter. I hope this clears the province thing up. I wanted to post this here because I feel like I created a bit of confusion, and it all started with my mis-use of the terms "Magnum X" and "Rio Mag", then was further perpetuated by my mix up of the gender. Matt, if there is anything further I can do for you in this regard, or anything else really, just let me know, buddy. Thanks for being patient while I sorted some of this out. And Drew, thanks once again for the education on this topic.

-Rich

blkmjk

Members
I guess I just have one last question. Did those fish the one you sold originally come from Jason or Chris? Other than that no harm no foul. There is alot of misinformation out there and it is easy to get confused. Besides there is no shame in having a mag-x no matter the blood lines. uploadfromtaptalk1399308914635.jpg
Here is my umbeeking mag x keeper. Stunting last night.
Drew

uploadfromtaptalk1399308914635.jpg

rich_one

Members
Based on what Ira said above, Chris sold Jason a wild male, who then mated with a female that Jason had that was an offspring of the General. Since Jason owned the wild male and the female daughter of the General and then spawned them, and the original fish I offered for sale in the first post of this thread is one of the offspring of that pairing, it would seem one would have to say my specific fish started as fry in one of Jason's tanks, then went to Ira, then to me, and now to Matt.

-Rich

blkmjk

Members
Cool really nice to see the origination of that fish! Not many people can trace the fish back to its location. .. A Jem for sure.

Drew