• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Silver arowana

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Don't feed it. It will eat...

Matt

Agreed. I would give him a week...if that doesn't help you can start jiggling the other foods at the surface and when he curls in the strike position let go lol. He will eventually eat other foods....I had a picky gar when I first started in the hobby 1.5 weeks later eating pellets...but keep an eye out so he doesn't get too thin while training it. (thought it was one of the smaller varieties) smh.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kevin911

Members
Aros are pretty easy to convert, you should have no worries :)

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Acpape0

Members
So rescaping day was a disaster !
Had to pull off canopy and tops to insert huge piece of driftwood .... You can see where this is going ....
One high flying and even further falling to the floor arowana and the scape was complete. A few scales was the cost of his temporary freedom but he is doing ok now. Pictures to follow when water settles

Acpape0

Members
I have a feeling the aquascaping in the tank will not change much anymore, it was the first time I have seen a fish right it's self on the ground and attempt to swim ... Would have made a great video, but would like for it to never happen again

neut

Members
Just a thought, but if the hardness of the pellets is putting him off (happens sometimes with a picky fish you're trying to get on pellets) but he eats krill, you might be able to get him to eat a soft krill based pellet. Some soft pellets I know of... HBH has a soft krill pellet, YFS has a soft carnivore pellet, but krill is down on the ingredients list, New Era has a soft cichlid pellet including krill, squid, shrimp, though fish meal is the first ingredient and I can't say I like cornstarch as the second ingredient in a fish food formula.

Only one of those I've actually used is the HBH which my fish liked. Not to start a food brand debate, but I've had picky fish in the past that wouldn't eat Hikari pellets and had no problem with NLS, Omega One, HBH, etc. I've had a few arowana in the past, no problem getting them to eat pellets, but they were smaller when I first got them, more in the range of 3-5 inches.

Edit-- somehow missed where it looks like you got him eating pellets... so ignore the above if it's superfluous.

But, imo if he's just starting to eat pellets I'd give him a while before introducing treats. Let him get more habituated first... Back when I had arowana their primary food was pellets (or flake), occasional live brine shrimp, but they were healthy and grew well... and back then commercial fish foods probably weren't as good as some of those today.

Last edited:

Acpape0

Members
He is currently eating the hikari jumbo sticks broken in half... I hate this food.. It is an absolute mess when hi is eating it. I am going to the store today to try to find something a little different. It seems half of what goes I to his mouth comes back out in little pieces. Need to find a smaller floating pellet. As for feeding I have been dropping in a few pellets and waiting for them to be eaten before he gets the krill. It is working so far, I was thinking of trying hikari cichlid gold for a little while.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
He is currently eating the hikari jumbo sticks broken in half... I hate this food.. It is an absolute mess when hi is eating it. I am going to the store today to try to find something a little different. It seems half of what goes I to his mouth comes back out in little pieces. Need to find a smaller floating pellet. As for feeding I have been dropping in a few pellets and waiting for them to be eaten before he gets the krill. It is working so far, I was thinking of trying hikari cichlid gold for a little while.

It might be worth talking to YFS, we're doing a group buy for delivery to the picnic, and they have tons of food options. You could order a small amount of a few things to try, or ask their recommendation.

http://www.yourfishstuff.com/food-for-carnivores/