• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AUGUST PHOTO OF THE MONTH

Vote for your favorite photo

• Photo A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Photo B

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Photo C

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Photo D

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Photo E

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Photo F

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Photo G

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Photo H

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Photo I

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Photo J

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
We really do have some good-looking fish... and great photographers in this club.

Something the CCA should really take pride in!

WendyFish

Members
Catfish are so cool they're invited to EVERY party!!! Plus they sit still for the camera...
I wonder if I am doing something wrong because I find plecos somewhat hard to photograph. Something about the similarity in color of all their bits makes it a little challenging to get them in focus and get the right gradations of light and exposure. The vast majority of my pleco photos and 100% of my lucipinnis photos thus far are garbage.

I finally read about a trick on the web that I have been doing better with, although you need a tripod to do it (hello, new tripod). If you use the live display to zoom way in and focus on the hardest-to-define area (fish's eye, I use bristlenose spines) then you will have an overall in-focus photo. Much easier with a subject that isn't moving.

JasonC

Members
I finally read about a trick on the web that I have been doing better with, although you need a tripod to do it (hello, new tripod). If you use the live display to zoom way in and focus on the hardest-to-define area (fish's eye, I use bristlenose spines) then you will have an overall in-focus photo. Much easier with a subject that isn't moving.

Similar to that, if using a somewhat open aperture, try focusing on the furthest back point in the tank you want to be in focus. If your DoF is right, everything else in front of that should be in focus too... that way you can focus on that plant that isn't zipping around all over the place and then wait for the fish to come into frame.

zackcrack00

Members
Similar to that, if using a somewhat open aperture, try focusing on the furthest back point in the tank you want to be in focus. If your DoF is right, everything else in front of that should be in focus too... that way you can focus on that plant that isn't zipping around all over the place and then wait for the fish to come into frame.

I just take pics with my mom's IPhone. Works like a charm. :)

WendyFish

Members
Cool tip, thanks. I will give it a try!

So I am a member of cca but I heard you had to be a club member to participate in photo of the month. Is this true? How do you become a club member? I live in pa. So monthly meetings may be difficult. Let me know what I can do.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrew

Members
I bought the gibbiceps at a PVAS auction for $5. I was going to resell it but Jeanette fell in love with him... Now he has a 75gal tank.

Who's photo is Photo B (The Gibbicep)? and where did he or she buy it from?

verbal

CCA Members
So I am a member of cca but I heard you had to be a club member to participate in photo of the month. Is this true? How do you become a club member? I live in pa. So monthly meetings may be difficult. Let me know what I can do.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Do you have a fellow cichlid addict who might be interested in doing a couple road trips with you? Depending on your interest either the October or November speaker might be worth the whole year's membership.

Or really any fish interest might make the long trip worth it to hear an expert on live foods this month.