• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Future fish room

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Fish room is now functional, but far from set up. Utility sink is installed and all tanks are currently running. Plenty of work to do as far as building racks, setting up air system, etc. I'll post some details about the room to gain input for how to maximize the space, but for now I'm happy with the progress. I'll post some more pictures after I've had a chance to clean and organize the space.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Definitely enjoying setting up the new fish room. Its very basic for the moment, but it serves my needs until I can plan out a rack system. I may have to check the local petcos when the $/gallon sale hits, 40 breeders and 10's are on my want list.

About half of the tanks I have are currently empty, but I'll be setting them up soon or as needed. Currently the room houses the following; (1) 45g tall, (1) 37g, (3) 30 longs, (1) 29g, (3) 20 highs, and (4) 10 gallons.

The 180, 120, 90, and 28g bowfront tanks are in the finished area of the basement, but I won't likely be adding any more tanks to this area.

I'll post some pictures and a schematic of the room after I get some more organization done.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
So, I currently have 10 tanks in the room, some on the floor, the others no more than 2 high. Eventually I'd like to build racks for tanks 3 high, depending on the types of tanks.

Wall 1 (picture 1): Currently just has a few tanks on the floor. I may end up making this wall a storage area or workspace because I have the window and electric panel that need to be accessible.

Wall 2 (picture 2): Currently has (2) three foot double stands. I'd like to build a 6' rack on this wall so I could make room for a 125, and/or some 40 breeders. The utility sink is on the right side of these tanks.

Wall 3 (picture 3): Currently has a 30" double stand, but has room for more. I'd like to do a 4' or 5' rack in this space for small breeder tanks or growout tanks.

I don't have a picture of the 4th wall, but it probably has 6' of space between the room door and closet door. Not sure what I'll be putting here, but some sort of rack for tanks.

I have a dehumidifier in the room, which may go on the "storage/workspace" wall, but I don't have much else in the room that takes up space other than the utility sink. Eventually I want to set up an air manifold system, but that may be a while off. Any general comments or suggestions for how to utilize the space would be appreciated. I'll take some more precise measurements to draw out a schematic of the room, but its about an 11'x11' room.

2014-06-12 23.59.48.jpg

2014-06-12 23.59.37.jpg

2014-06-13 00.00.02.jpg

Last edited:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Here's a diagram of the room with measurements. Of course its not to scale, but it shows the layout of the room. I have an idea of what I'd like to do for racks as mentioned above, but curious how other people would set up the room.

Attachments

• fishroom.pdf
    168.4 KB · Views: 33

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
If I was working with that room I'd try to stack tanks as high as possible and I'd put racks with fry by the utility sink so I could do more frequent water changes easily. Unfortunately the spot were Im building my fry rack is about 40ft away from the sink. I'd like it to be closer but its not that bad.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Made some significant progress on obtaining equipment to get the fishroom going. Found someone on craigslist who was breaking down a fishroom, and was able to pick out some quality stuff.

Picked up an AL-80 Alita air pump (probably a lot bigger than I need, but that gives me room for expansion) and a few sections of 1/2" PVC with about 30 threaded taps. Just need to configure the PVC for the room, possibly add some taps, and run the pipes. I picked up some PVC cement and a pipe cutter today, planning to do some work during the week and hopefully get the air system functioning by the weekend.

Still need to build some racks, but other than setting up some shop lights, the rest is falling into place.

chriscoli

Administrator
Nice! I just got an email from UPS a little while ago that my new Jehmco air pump is sitting at my front door! :)

Reed

Very Fishe
Mike, no need to use pvc cement on the air system. Just push the pvc pipes firmly together. Simple

verbal

CCA Members
Mike, no need to use pvc cement on the air system. Just push the pvc pipes firmly together. Simple

Good advice friction is fine for air supply. It makes it a lot simpler to reconfigure, if/when you decide to change things up.

Cartel

Members
Lookin good bud. I just bought a place up this way. Ill have to stop by and check out your setup. Also mind sending me info on the plumber? I need a utility sink installed from one side of a wall to another. Shoot me a PM with your number as well.