• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fun surprise!

Becca

Members
Occasionally I like to be surprised by what I get when I buy fish and I'll say "give me $X of whatever you decide I'll like."

I did this just before the cookout and was pleasantly surprised when Josh chose a fish I otherwise wouldn't have even noticed - Danio choprae.

Now, I didn't exactly have space for a large group of Danios just yet (I didn't count them, but there were at least a dozen in the bag), so they went into a Rubbermaid bin for QT and were quickly joined by "Papa Pleco's" latest brood. There they sat, for weeks, in a bin, on the floor, while I meticulously set up my new 33 long. In my typical OCD fashion, the set up didn't take so long because it was a lot of work, it took so long because I couldn't decide (other than the choprae) what was going in or on the tank.

I put the tank together on 8/31 and added the danios to cycle it a day or two later. A few days after that I added some of the pleco brood because, well, why not? As of this past weekend, other residents include RCS and my Blue Panaque. It's slow going - I'm still hemming and hawing over what to put in the tank.

Last night I was headed downstairs and something caught my eye. I shouted something along the lines of "You've gotta be f**kin' kidding me!" Jeremy came rushing out to the living room to find out just what had caused me to shout when there was a sleeping terrible two year old in the house.

Well, there are no longer a dozen or so Danio choprae, oh no, I have been blessed with a few hundred. They are fruitful, they multiply, and they apparently do not eat their eggs or their young (at least they're not very committed to it).

I know, this is no grand accomplishment. After all, this is just how most danios roll. It does, however, say a lot about the quality of the Batfish Aquatics stock. It's pretty rare that I purchase fish from a retailer and have them reproduce within the span of a month.

If you haven't tried these fish, they are an attractive and interesting nano fish and I know at least a couple of our sponsors sell them :D.

chriscoli

Administrator
Very awesome! Choprae are fantastic little fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
My choprae always ate their fry. Been trying to breed them for years (albeit halfheartedly).

Congratulations!

I have a moss wall in this tank and I think that's the key. Even though it hasn't filled out yet, the fry seem to hide in the mesh and only come out when the lights are on. They stick to the top half, and the parents sort of adhere to the manzanita branches nearer to the bottom. I'm sure some are getting eaten, but there were still plenty this AM.

Becca

Members
What is a moss wall? Can you post a picture?

Matt

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/.../69268-new-take-old-technique-moss-walls.html

This is the technique I used.

Here are some photos from the process -

"Plastic canvas" with slits cut in rows for weaving moss -
picture.php

Plastic canvas with some moss woven in -
picture.php

33 long with about 10 days growing out -
picture.php

The moss wall is the background and is suction-cupped in. It will take time for the moss to fully fill out the wall, but it's off to a good start.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I love Danio choprae. Mine haven't spawned, however. Look no further when it's time to unload a few...

Blaise

skanda

Members
COngrats! Was there filtration or aeration in the tub? and what were the water condtions? Bet there lots o plants.

Most danios eat ther eggs. Fill a 33g long with 6 dozen of these and it would be a sight to behold!

Becca

Members
COngrats! Was there filtration or aeration in the tub? and what were the water condtions? Bet there lots o plants.

Most danios eat ther eggs. Fill a 33g long with 6 dozen of these and it would be a sight to behold!

That tank in the picture, that's where it happened.

Becca

Members
I AM REALLY digging the moss background!

Drew

Thanks! I was excited to finally have a tank that had good lighting and was a reasonable size to try this on. It definitely took some time and patience, but it was worth it.

It gives fry and cherry shrimp a good place to hide and lets me have lots of space for moss without giving up the looks of the branches I put in there.

I tried this once before on a much smaller scale and actually sewed the moss to the plastic canvas. This method was MUCH easier and looks about the same, too. I will say that using the black "canvas" makes a big difference because it's not as easy to see how much of the wall hasn't filled out yet. I had to order that off of Amazon because I could only find white in local craft stores.