• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pics of my current project

Well after a ton of work building and resealing I got the 125 up and running. Just ordered the 5 remaining fish on my wish list. Cant wait for the mail tomorrow! I'm still working on lighting a had 4 T5's but bought a current led strip and love it so I'm going to switch to full led. Sorry its still a bit hazy should clear up by the morning. Here is my stock list let me know what you think. Suggestions are always welcome.
Bear with me on the spelling
Nimbochromis venustus ×2
Nimbochromis livingstonii
Placidochromis milomo
Placidochromis electra
Aulonocara jf otter point
Aulonocara jf caroline
Aulonocara jf lemon jake
Aulonocara OB ×2
Aulonocara rubescens
Aulonocara rubin red
Aulonocara ngara flametail
Aulonocara hansbaenschi
Aulonocara baenschi ×2
Aulonocara ? Ruby chrystal
Protomelas spilotonus
Protomelas teaniolatus
Copadichromis azeurus ×2
Copadichromis borleyi kadango
Copadichromis mloto ?
Scianochromis fryerii
Fryerii iceburg
unknown black peacock
Unknown juvenile ×2

Tomorrows delivery
Otopharynx lithobate z rock
Protomelas stevanii
Protomelas insignis tanzania
Protomelas teaniolatus tangerine tiger
Aulonocara hueseri midnight
No need to correct my spelling mistakes this was all off the top of my head
Also
synodontus eruptus
Sailfin pleco
Clown loach ×2
If you've made it this far Thanks for checking it out

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1381885971609.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1381885979258.jpg

Ading522

Members
Nice setup! Is that an all male stock list? Or groups of it?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

It was supposed to be all male but buying small fish is sometimes a shot In the dark to be safe I buy two and ended up with breeding pairs of OB, fryerii, and otter point the remaining fish are all male. No noticable violence yet but when it occurs I will place the pairs in their own tanks.

Rasta Fish

Members
Very NICE list and setup
beware if these guys though although they are beautiful peacocks they are some of the more aggressive ones
Aulonocara jf otter point
Aulonocara jf caroline
Aulonocara jf lemon jake

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Nice stocklist. Watch out for those peacocks - some are very similar looking and may find issue with eachother's existence.

It was supposed to be all male but buying small fish is sometimes a shot In the dark to be safe I buy two and ended up with breeding pairs of OB, fryerii, and otter point the remaining fish are all male. No noticable violence yet but when it occurs I will place the pairs in their own tanks.

Cool. Certainly do not pull any holding females of fry from that tank as they will almost certainly be hybrids.

Do post up more pics as things progress. :)

Coincidentally the jf are the smallest fish in the tank and havnt shown any signs of aggression at this point. My new fish arrived healthy and happy today and they are fitting in well. The only fish that's giving me a problem is the rubescens he is a pita! Funny you mention the hybrids because my rubescens is currently holding half the tank hostage as he tries to mate with my female sunshine. The male sunshine does not appear happy. The only fry I pull are the fryerii as they appear to be monogomous. My goal would be to find good homes for the 4 maybe 5 females. Thanks for the advice and checking it out.

Ading522

Members

Its just a suggestion and my two pennies.. But this is what I am doing.. I am buying small fry and raising them
In a grow out 75 ..the males who color up get "upgraded" to the bigger tank..so far its worked for me.. Although now I've put them in a couple smaller tanks since ived moved.. In bare bottom tanks till I finish their project tanks.. Maybe you can do the same..trade out the other females..?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Just a heads-up - Scianochromis fryeri are notorious for interbreeding with peacocks. You will not be able to tell the difference in the fry until they colored up - and then still not be sure.

Whenever you have multiple single males without females in a tank (especially with fish this closely related), all bets are off on getting pure fry.

Google "sciaenochromis peacock hybrid" and see the tons of results out there.

Like you said, I think moving out the females is your best bet. There's always folks looking for extra girls.

Cheers.

Interesting search results (including my avatar pic) I didnt know a female could mate with several males and pass along traits of all of them. Gotta say I wouldn't mind raising some blue OB's

In my case I bought all the fish small juveniles and females look similar at that size finding the males was the hard part as they grew the females stayed the same and the males colored up so distinguishing was rather easy. If you were to look at a tank of 100 adult female's it would be much more difficult some, like taeniolatus and borelyi are easy others especially aulonocara are more difficult, atleast for me.