• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Future fish room

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
So, I'm 99% sure I'll have a new fish room in about a month, I'll post more details once I have them and know its a done deal.

I have a dilemma, there is no bathroom in the basement, but there is water because laundry facilities and a sump pump are present.

I need to install a utility sink in the room before I can set anything up. Anyone do decent plumbing or know someone who could? It would be in the Randallstown area, northwest of Baltimore.

Any help or advice is appreciated. And I'm not a DIY guy, so saying "its not really that hard, you could do it yourself," doesn't help me. Thanks in advance!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Very exciting that you found a place. I know a pretty good outfit here in Frederick (Putman Plumbing), but I don't think they travel that far.

Hannibal

Members
Once it's a done deal give me a shout and I will stop by to take a look at what you are working with. I am sure we can figure something out.

JasonC

Members
W H Winegar Plumbing & Heating
3005 Winifred Dr, Burtonsville, MD 20866
(301) 907-4650

This is my go-to plumber. Extremely good. Don't blame you for not wanting to do it yourself. I love DIY, but even for me, water and gas tend to be off limits.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Once it's a done deal give me a shout and I will stop by to take a look at what you are working with. I am sure we can figure something out.

Awesome, much appreciated. Won't have full access for another month, but I want to get it squared away so I can get the fish room going before we move in.

W H Winegar Plumbing & Heating
3005 Winifred Dr, Burtonsville, MD 20866
(301) 907-4650

This is my go-to plumber. Extremely good. Don't blame you for not wanting to do it yourself. I love DIY, but even for me, water and gas tend to be off limits.
Thanks man. Yeah, I hear ya, just like cars; I could technically change the brakes and exhaust, but I'd rather pay someone else who does it regularly.

Becca

Members
Richard Walton in Ellicott City/Baltimore is a great guy.

I don't have personal experience with him as a plumber, but I know his wife, Tecla, well. I've worked with her on a lot of rescue dogs. She's an amazing trainer.

With the advancments of plumbling, pex pipe and shark bite fittings someone who's never flushed a toilet can add a sink. In my mind the money I saved from the plumber could buy a few extra goodies for the fish room. If pipes are exposed I could give you a parts list and diagram off a picture or two. Something to consider required tools are extremely minimal.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Acpape0

Members
With the advancments of plumbling, pex pipe and shark bite fittings someone who's never flushed a toilet can add a sink. In my mind the money I saved from the plumber could buy a few extra goodies for the fish room. If pipes are exposed I could give you a parts list and diagram off a picture or two. Something to consider required tools are extremely minimal.

+1
Worst case it will be cheaper to have plumber fix vs. doing full install

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DiscusnAfricans

Past President

No exposed pipes, and I'm not sure where the main valve is yet. Its going to require cutting drywall, then patching, mud, etc.

Since I need the sink ASAP, I want to get it done quickly, and right the first time.

If nothing comes out of the already recommended plumbers, let me know. I work in Owings Mills and a number of coworkers live in OM or Randallstown, and I can probably get you some more names.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Pictured below is the future fish room. Its finally mine today! Tonight I'm tearing up the carpet, and having a utility sink installed tomorrow. Will move a few small tanks next week, and eventually start building the room out. Will post "after" pics after the floor is done and the sink is installed.

26.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I am jealous!

You're lucky your wife let you tear up a finished room for fish.
She was just happy to find something with a separate room in the basement for small tanks. A concrete floor will be much more functional for a fishroom. There is plenty of other carpet in the house for her;)

Leffler817

CCA Members
Congrats Mike, that's awesome!!!

Since the fish room is in the basement, will you have to put in some sort of exhaust fan? There's not a lot of basement action out here on the shore. But there's lots of moisture issues...

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good call!

It looks like you've got an HVAC vent and especially in the basement, you should be able to keep the room warm enough for most fish with that (I do).

If the ceiling's high enough, a ceiling fan could work wonders. I use fans to prevent condensation / mold in mine.

Looks like there's a window to the outside. Great source of light and you could set up an exhaust fan.

Matt

Congrats Mike, that's awesome!!!

Since the fish room is in the basement, will you have to put in some sort of exhaust fan? There's not a lot of basement action out here on the shore. But there's lots of moisture issues...

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Good call!

It looks like you've got an HVAC vent and especially in the basement, you should be able to keep the room warm enough for most fish with that (I do).

If the ceiling's high enough, a ceiling fan could work wonders. I use fans to prevent condensation / mold in mine.

Looks like there's a window to the outside. Great source of light and you could set up an exhaust fan.

Matt
It was set up as a finished room, so it does have an HVAC vent and a window. I may end up installing an exhaust fan in the window to help with air flow. I'll be using a dehumidifier to control moisture and help heat the room.

Over the weekend I tore up the carpet, removed the tack strip, swept, and painted the concrete floor. Today is installation of a utility sink and another coat of paint on the floor. I'll post some updated pictures tomorrow. Will be moving small tanks during the week and big tanks over the weekend.

Last edited: