• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

lemon jake?

Siklid

Members
Photo is a bit blurring. But from the photo and seeing the Jacobfreibergi that Petsmart sells, I would say that it leans more to being in the class of a Euerka Red.

neut

Members
++ on eureka red. Some eureka reds strains are just more orange than red. In fact, long time ago in a galaxy far away some breeders called them eureka orange (or simply A. jacobfriebergi "eureka"). Both are nice looking fish (eureka red, lemon jake). He looks to be young yet, likely will get even better with age.

neut

Members
As a line bred fish (based on otter point jakes), eureka reds can vary a good bit by breeding strain and even vary within the same spawn (I bred them for years), so you can't necessarily judge other ER jakes based on your own. Some are much more red, or darker or lighter red, or not really red but more orange. Of course, there are other jacobfreibergi, several of them fairly similar and varying slightly by collection point... so from Petsmart, who knows with real certainty. Plus, not always so easy to distinguish on a computer screen where colors might vary on different screens.

But-- lemon jakes are fairly distinctive. They can vary some also, mainly in coverage of blue on the body, intensity of the yellow (to orange tinged yellow), etc... I've also kept and bred lemon jakes. Did a quick search, since any photos I'd have of my own would be two or three computers ago... or else not digital... and here are a couple of examples that are pretty classic-- link1... link2 (younger)... Not your fish imo.

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Tough to say could be a poorly bred otter point or ER. But wait till he settles in the tank in a few days take another pic.
Reeds red is a few generations of his breed. So very different than chain store ER.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reed

Very Fishe
There are many variations of any fish. If you like it and enjoy it that's all that really matters

Veryfishe.com