• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Parachromis ? "La Ceiba Yellow Head"

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I got 4 of these from Ken Davis after his presentation last November. Two were murdered. One by a sengal, and one by this pair. They spawned for the first time 2 days ago. I changed the lighting on the tank a week before the spawn and now I'm having a hard time getting pic's. It wasn't easy with these guys before. Some of the best ones of the female flaring and contorting at the male to push him away from the eggs are out of focus :( All and all most of pic's are somewhat out of focus. This tank in particular has been a challenge to photograph.

He defends her and the eggs from everything in the house and she defends the eggs from him. But from what I can tell she doesn't need to. So far their are taking care of the eggs like pro's, so hopefully they'll do as well with the fry. I heard these guys recently made the CARES list.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

F8LBITE

Members
thats an awesome fish. Congrats on helping save a rare breed. I remember the story he told about finding the new fish and later finding out it was a undiscovered species and when he went back the pond he found them in was polluted and the population was destroyed.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
congrats on such a beautiful pair and the spawn. have your fry people talk with my fry people and lets do lunch.lol I recall his story too. I was shocked when he said it was all messed up when he got back. that was sad. I'm glad you have found success with them and in getting pics in that tank.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Wow, those guys are awesome!!! Congrats on the spawn, hope everything goes well with em. We might have to work up a Fry Swap ;)

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I caught the biggest one last week. The others I can't get. The second they show their face the yellowheads are all over them. I need to catch them before they die back there and polute the tank.

Jamieishard

Members
these fish are really really amazing looking... ive seen the tank in person and its awesome... and i like the pics mike!!

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
you think a 40 breeder would work if i had lots of hiding spots?
Maybe for a year or a little more for a pair, 6-7 months for growouts. Once a pair forms they'll kill the others and fast. It took mine 12 hrs in a 75g off the other male. By the time I knew what happened it was too late. However, these guys grow really slow, at least mine did. You've seen how big they are; I got them at one inch in Nov, so I'm figuring they're at least 10 months old. Although they weren't getting spoiled for the first 6 months. I think some other people in the club have some, maybe they'll chime in with their experince with them.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Freakin Awesome shots man!!! These guys are really cool. Looks like they are very protective parents, that makes them even more cool.

Congrats!!!

Davey_8313

Members
nice that they took care of the cons for you. unless u wanted them. i need some RTM now, come on DQ, LOL. Awesome pics mike.